Gravy Train Gets New Engine?

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

People do that without trains or trams.

Well, you know best. ;)

38 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well, you know best. ;)

Thankfully I do. I'm just Manx.

Posted (edited)

Dilli, you can be pretty sure that the Govt have maxed the figures for tourism as a % of the economy.

Someones parents visit their kids on the Island, eat in every day, only spend money at the Pub, ' That's tourism', 300 quid to Portugal on boat fares?, 'That's tourism'.

However, tourism for all its small percentage of the economy is still part of that input but it has to be subject to 'Value for Money'? The amount to be spent on the Horse Trams alone would put this in doubt as a financially viable model.

You say that heritage transport can not be expected to make a profit but the only reason that we have 'Heritage Transport' is to service the tourist industry, if it is losing money for us, it is reducing that 3% in its value to our overall economy.

i98o00000000 ( my Cat wrote this! Typical Woman, has to have the last word!!!)

Edited by Kopek

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:
43 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well, you know best. ;)

Thankfully I do. I'm just Manx.

So am I and have been for longer than you, I imagine. 

Of course you are. Tatlocks been dead for years!!!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Dilli, you can be pretty sure that the Govt have maxed the figures for tourism as a % of the economy.

Someones parents visit their kids on the Island, eat in every day, only spend money at the Pub, ' That's tourism', 300 quid to Portugal on boat fares?, 'That's tourism'.

However, tourism for all its small percentage of the economy is still part of that input but it has to be subject to 'Value for Money'? The amount to be spent on the Horse Trams alone would put this in doubt as a financially viable model.

You say that heritage transport can not be expected to make a profit but the only reason that we have 'Heritage Transport' is to service the tourist industry, if it is losing money for us, it is reducing that 3% in its value to our overall economy.

i98o00000000 ( my Cat wrote this! Typical Woman, has to have the last word!!!)

So  everything that does not make a profit should go ?

Well lets start with busses, trams, horsetrams, Gaiety, Villa, NSC, all parks, most sporting events, all local authority housing, health services. social services, fishery protection, farming, most light industries, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by dilligaf

To be fair, heritage transport and our heritage in general is just as important to the population of the island as it is to the tourism sector. Like many of the government subsidised quangos we have, they help to make life here bearable

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

To be fair, heritage transport and our heritage in general is just as important to the population of the island as it is to the tourism sector. Like many of the government subsidised quangos we have, they help to make life here bearable

Exactly my point. I don't actually believe the posters who are posting contrary views are being serious. ( I hope, for their sakes )

Our Heritage is important to us as a Nation, our history, territorial struggles, our identity as an independent nation ruled over by none. These are important to us.

Our Heritage transport systems were a means to jump on the Victorian tourist boom. That is not our 'heritage', that is a means of making money from whatever was the current fashion.

Social housing, busses etc are nothing to do with 'heritage', they are part of what makes up our sense of 'Social Responsibility', what we have collectively decided is what  our current society deems to be our 'lot' to provide and subsidise if need be.

I've no doubt that some local residents ride the Horse Trams MEA trams every couple of years but if they were scrapped tomorrow, 5 years hence, no one  would miss them.

In our current financial  situation, aa subsidy has to have a positive return, I don't believe that true cost of provision of tourism would allow that 3% figure to survive.

I presume that in believing that some subsidy is necessary, you include CS pensions in that???

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

So  everything that does not make a profit should go ?

Well lets start with busses, trams, horsetrams, Gaiety, Villa, NSC, all parks, most sporting events, all local authority housing, health services. social services, fishery protection, farming, most light industries, etc. etc. etc.

Don't be a silly billy Dilli.

How is it eg parks are supposed to make a profit?

There are certain civic amenities and social services that UK societies have come to expect as a matter of course and are happy to pay for..

This thread is about public monies being squandered on yet another ill thought out Public Sector fuck-up. In fact, I would say that the diesel engine farrago is an absolutely classic example of just how incompetent the decision making processes in Public Service are.

However, I am starting to wonder if it's your account or brain that's been hacked?

It's just an anonymous posting forum FFS....

• Haha 1