Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
ManxTaxPayer

What's Your Favourite Requiem?

Yes ok, I know you're going to say Mozart's D minor, or Fauré's in the same key and I agree. Terrific works. Very accessible too. But at the moment, I am mostly listening to Ligeti's Requiem. It's an amazing score I'm sure you'll all agree. Listen. And enjoy. And maybe ponder the futility of everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5lnAQ2b68

• Like 1

Yes, good call, but that's only a tiny bit of it. Here's a goody, if a little disturbing.

On the subject of Penderecki, here's a beauty for all you readers out there! Ok, not a requiem, but a similar nod to death albeit en masse! Amazing.

Another ok, not a requiem, but you'll love this. I know I do! Sweet... Is that a...? No! It can't be! But it sounds like it..... Crazy.

Kilar's Exodus, Gorecki's Symphony No 3, Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunte, these all sound requiemish to me and I like them, but you can't beat Mozart. :)

Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunte,

Bit short for a Requiem that, but what a piece. Such emotion! Here's a piano roll of the man himself performing it. It's possibly been speeded up by the machine, who knows, it's faster than most versions I'm famiiar with but it still works. Amazing. What a guy.

• Like 2

Pavane is beautiful, that's what I was going to play in the guild... But I'm a chicken :)

Sadly I'm not a fan of classical music - bar the 'Your Favourite Classics' usual suspects, but as a requiem I always thought this was completely beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieE4ErFwKrc

I got Nimrod by a brass band for my dad's funeral (it was his favourite piece) and it still gives me chills to hear it.

ETA: Forgotten how to paste a video window. Off to the help section...

ETAA: Attack of the fucking stupids. Can't do it.

Edited by Stu Peters