Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tarne

Abortion plight should shame us all? Really?

He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool. —Albert Camus

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, dilligaf said:
On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Gee Cee said:

Paswt

It is my view that all abortions/terminations are unacceptable. I do not accept that being the victim of rape gives a woman the right to choose between life or death for her unborn child.

I am not a member of any "religious" organisation. You seem to think that only religious people are entitled to be anti-abortion.

It is my view that killing a living foetus is utterly wrong. The fact that the mother may be in unfortunate circumstances does not make it right. All abortion is carried out for the 'convenience' of someone. Normally the mother. We should not be killing unborn children for the sake of convenience.

Both you and I should be glad that our mothers did not find their pregnancies inconvenient.

As a man I find that one sentence, the most offensive thing you have ever posted. I imagine every woman will be appalled at what you have written. Unbelievable. :angry:

Gee Cee, you have made several posts since posting the above, yet you have never tried to justify the appalling statement you made re. rape victims.

You have skirted around that, so would you like to explain it please.?

• Like 1

you have never tried to justify the appalling statement you made re. rape victims

Indeed.

It seems common amongst agenda-driven judgementalists to simply and only consider the foetus. To then proclaim that all abortion is carried out for the 'convenience' of someone seems trite.

Perhaps the act which resulted in its conception was considerably more 'inconvenient' for the sufferer. You didn't mention that GC. 

I seems far more barbaric than the termination itself for the law to force maintenance of the resulting pregnancy and subsequent rearing of the resulting child should the mother want otherwise.

Remember she did nothing wrong. I really hope you agree that point GC.

Absolute opposition to abortion indicates either a misogynist or a follower of mistranslated bronze age texts written by misogynists.

I'm all for education, free non-judgemental access to contraception/morning-after pill, and simpler adoption processes, but in the final analysis, abortion before foetal viability has to be a choice of the pregnant woman.  After viability, in my opinion, there are indications for abortion, but these should be tighter.

And to throw one more idea into the mix - what do you think, @Gee Cee, about Levitt's hypothesis that increasing access to abortion reduces crime rates about 20 years later?  Surely you don't want to see higher crime rates do you?  And many of these aborted foetuses would probably grow up to ride motorbikes.  Is that what you want?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Absolute opposition to abortion indicates either a misogynist or a follower of mistranslated bronze age texts written by misogynists.

I'm all for education, free non-judgemental access to contraception/morning-after pill, and simpler adoption processes, but in the final analysis, abortion before foetal viability has to be a choice of the pregnant woman.  After viability, in my opinion, there are indications for abortion, but these should be tighter.

And to throw one more idea into the mix - what do you think, @Gee Cee, about Levitt's hypothesis that increasing access to abortion reduces crime rates about 20 years later?  Surely you don't want to see higher crime rates do you?  And many of these aborted foetuses would probably grow up to ride motorbikes.  Is that what you want?

Fair comment  other than to say ,that contrary to what some may  believe , motorcyclists are not all criminals IMHO:lol:

• Haha 1

On 26 December 2017 at 9:41 PM, Gee Cee said:

It is my view that all abortions/terminations are unacceptable. I do not accept that being the victim of rape gives a woman the right to choose between life or death for her unborn child.

It is my view that you are Peter Murcott - bewildering display of naive deluded bigotry.

• Like 2

Isn't he the tit who I seem to remember suggested that no matter how much in pain a terminally ill person is, they have to keep living until their 'natural' death?   Y'now so as to not apparently upset his beliefs?  

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It is my view that you are Peter Murcott - bewildering display of naive deluded bigotry.

TLCs.....

(definitely not PM anyway)

On 26 December 2017 at 9:41 PM, Gee Cee said:

I am not a member of any "religious" organisation. You seem to think that only religious people are entitled to be anti-abortion.

It is my view that killing a living foetus is utterly wrong.

If you're not religious where does your view that killing anything 'is wrong' come from? 

8 hours ago, maynragh said:

If you're not religious where does your view that killing anything 'is wrong' come from? 

it came through a sphincter.

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2017 at 9:41 PM, Gee Cee said:

Paswt

It is my view that killing a living foetus is utterly wrong. The fact that the mother may be in unfortunate circumstances does not make it right. All abortion is carried out for the 'convenience' of someone. Normally the mother. We should not be killing unborn children for the sake of convenience.

Both you and I should be glad that our mothers did not find their pregnancies inconvenient.

I would imagine you've been kicked out of plenty though you total asswipe.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, WTF said:
22 hours ago, maynragh said:

it came through a sphincter.

That's a fair bet, as we have more than 50 of them :)

Edited by dilligaf

As I think has already been discussed, there is a selective myopia on both sides which leads to poor outcomes for those who actually live through the process. On the one hand there is the attempt at obfuscation over what is a human life, when a straightforward scientific appraisal gives no such room and what is actually being debated is what makes 'a person' rather than 'a life'. This appears to be due to the difficulty a lot of people (religious or not) have when dealing with the fact that as a social species we are ordinarily complicit in the termination of lives that we do not identify as belonging to our group. Or to put it another way, we're happy to accept the deaths of some humans because someone tells us they are not 'like us' but this apparently does not apply to unborn humans from within our perceived group - a complete contradiction.

On a lighter note... The best comment I saw in relation to the recent anti campaign demonstrations was that it would be a better idea to just give away free condoms. I took it that this was just an off-the-cuff remark, but the more I thought about all the gnashing of teeth and the apparent appetite for conflict the more it struck me this was a brilliant idea. I was sorry the thought hadn't occurred to me earlier, and if they do come back I'll certainly be trying to form my own demo. What better way to counter such a negative approach to the problem than to stand alongside them with a huge banner saying "NOBODY LIKES ABORTION, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A DICK ABOUT IT! BE HAPPY, HAVE A FREE JONNY ON US!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

there is a selective myopia on both sides which leads to poor outcomes for those who actually live through the process. 

True enough and I like the quote at the end of the second paragraph (athough some religious nuts will no doubt think free jonnys are wrong, wrong, wrong).

We all simplify arguments to suit our views but I think most will accept that the opinion along the lines of "life begins at the instant of conception and then must, no matter what, continue to term" is just too convenient should one wish to ban all terminations.  That simplifiction is commonly utilised by many ideological antis knowing damn well that it swerves so many awkward counter arguments.

I don't think it really matters that the "anti-no-matter-what" view may be religion driven (until someone says " because my god says....") . What does matter is that such views judge others without any real knowledge of their lives or circumstances and without ever having to live the responsibilities they want to confer to the judged often as some sort of punishment.

• Like 1