Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Shake me up Judy

Charles 'Chuck' Berry - rock and roll poet

Can't believe that all the so called musos on here have failed to recognise Chuck's passing. He was a genius with words and lyrics, changed guitar playing forever, and was a blistering live performer. The Beatles and the Stones worshipped at his feet. If you don't understand it then start with Maybellene, his first single and one of the greatest three minutes in music ever recorded.

• Like 1

Can't believe that all the so called musos on here have failed to recognise Chuck's passing. He was a genius with words and lyrics, changed guitar playing forever, and was a blistering live performer. The Beatles and the Stones worshipped at his feet. If you don't understand it then start with Maybellene, his first single and one of the greatest three minutes in music ever recorded.

There's some fantastic clips emerging on You Tube now. It's hard to appreciate how people like Berry changed music in the 1950s. Some of his live performances are fantastic to watch.

• Like 1

Farewell, Chuck Berry.

You once had no particular place to go.

Now you have.

RIP.

Played the Lido too

legend rip

stuck some on the panatrope last night

I liked his music. Interesting to think of all the groups who have come and gone and he lived past so many of them. Drugs are bad, mmm kay.

Posted (edited)

No wonder this seemed exciting in 1958. One of the most uplifting and life affirming tunes I've ever heard. Oh man that little coloured (country) boy could play!

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 2