Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
La Colombe

"It's Time To End The War On Drugs"..

59 posts in this topic

We are about to Legalize Cannabis in Canada.  A couple of years ago, we Legalized Prostitution so long it is done Privately and not on the Streets.

So I agree with Legalizing Weed but Not Narcotics.  To those who push Narcotics, I say:

God Damn The Pusher!

3X3

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 9:01 AM, ballaughbiker said:

I would fully support legalisation of cannabis and MDMA use as long as there were adequate controls but any moral equivalence with alcohol is a bit suspect.

Most problems with alcohol are down to its low price and availability and abuse by a minority. 

So you would be happy to get on the boat or plane with the pilot or sailors all happy on drugs then ? I think i might be a bit concerned !!

27 minutes ago, JOE450 said:

So you would be happy to get on the boat or plane with the pilot or sailors all happy on drugs then ? I think i might be a bit concerned !!

Most of the pilots I know are complete pissheads, and a lot of people doing those jobs probably drink alcohol recreationally and go to work with a hangover every now and again so how would all the sailors or pilots suddenly become a bigger danger if we legalized soft drugs? I flew to Amsterdam last year and I'm pretty sure the EasyJet pilots weren't all stoned even though soft drugs are legal there. I bet more than a few flew back with hangovers though after a big night out on a stop over. Unfortunately yours is the usual non-argument that clouds the legalization debate given how prevalent and widespread alcohol use and alcohol abuse is. How is alcohol use, and the alcohol related problems that are inflicted on society, and alcohol related violence and domestic abuse, somehow not as bad as someone smoking a bit of weed and going for a sleep? That's why the argument should probably be about legalizing and taxing it (and looking at farming and tourism opportunities etc) as we put up with the completely destructive influence of alcohol on society because apparently it's legal and because it raises billions in tax. That seems to be the only reason why it's acceptable when cannabis isn't. 

Edited by hboy

1 hour ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

We are about to Legalize Cannabis in Canada.  

So I see. Canada leads the way. They'll make an absolute fortune. The world will be watching. And probably wishing it had been a bit braver.  

40 minutes ago, gettafa said:

(Rightly or wrongly) the powers that be, and I don't mean Tynwald, would never allow legalisation of cannabis. Full stop.

Meanwhile how many thousands of people die of alcohol related illnesses and violence every year? It's a very short sighted approach when you won't legalize a relatively harmless drug and yet you make billions of the back of taxes on the sale of a very destructive drug whose use wastes a whole pile of police and NHS time every day and which causes untold amounts of sickness, violence, and social misery.  But that's entirely ok! Even it the god fearing strangely puritanical USA its legal in several states now. 

Edited by hboy

Yep, correct.

We're not talking about logic here though. The Isle of  Man 'establishment' (sorry, got to use that word) will have none of it.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Yep, correct.

We're not talking about logic here though. The Isle of  Man 'establishment' (sorry, got to use that word) will have none of it.

I suppose we can't have all those farmers giving up their free money for doing nothing and being allowed to grow a crop that there is actual commercial demand for. There would be a riot!

This is worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04yxs0k

What Happens When You Legalise Cannabis?

In 2014 marijuana was legalised for recreational use in Colorado and Washington states in the US. Oregon, Alaska, California, Nevada and Massachusetts have all followed. These votes were the result of fierce campaigns. Activists argued that changing the law would eliminate the black market in marijuana; creating a legitimate, taxable industry and allowing the police to focus on more serious crime. Opponents feared more people would become cannabis addicts and predicted an uptick in health problems and robberies. So – three years in – what happened?

Two items from the programme, police time saved on cannabis trafficking is now spent on policing the various cannabis regulations, e.g. no smoking in the street, no smoking & driving.  And the Dutch think the way they've gone about it in the US is crazy and will lead to significant problems if it was rolled out nationwide.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, La Colombe said:

..says Jane Slater, who is head of operations at Transform. 

I think I could have guessed what she would look like before I read that link.

God help us.

2 people like this

Most of the pilots I know are complete pissheads,

Eh? That's not my experience apart from one who is no longer a pilot for that very reason. I think most will not 'go for it' the evening before a duty but i suppose you need to define what makes someone a complete pisshead.

That seems to be the only reason why it's acceptable when cannabis isn't. 

Hmmm, maybe. Chemically, alcohol is a simple C2H5OH that the body can metabolise in hours. It's metabolites just give you a hangover. It is however toxic in very high doses and has the ability to kill. That said, in the absence of liver damage, it can't be traced 24-48 hours later. Bottom line is the body is naturally adapted to cope with it except in a huge overdose.

THC in cannabis is a complex molecule (C21H30O2) with a phenolic bezene ring and two carbon rings with the odd double bond thrown in. It isn't water soluble and its metabolite is psychoactive. Whilst a high might last a few hours at the most, it can be traced weeks later. However it is very difficult to kill yourself with cannabis. That said the body is not good at completely getting rid of it in the short term as it is not naturally adapted to cope with it.

I like the idea that its medical benefits could be really exploited following legalisation but I don't know how you could stop lawyers arguing that the trace in your urine 20 days after use didn't contribute to that accident you have just caused. It's stuff like this that makes acceptability a challenge.

Edited by ballaughbiker
3 people like this

That's a long stretch of logic from what said but see the previous post.

57 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Eh? That's not my experience apart from one who is no longer a pilot for that very reason. I think most will not 'go for it' the evening before a duty but i suppose you need to define what makes someone a complete pisshead.

Hmmm, maybe. Chemically, alcohol is a simple C2H5OH that the body can metabolise in hours. It's metabolites just give you a hangover. It is however toxic in very high doses and has the ability to kill. That said, in the absence of liver damage, it can't be traced 24-48 hours later. Bottom line is the body is naturally adapted to cope with it except in a huge overdose.

THC in cannabis is a complex molecule (C21H30O2) with a phenolic bezene ring and two carbon rings with the odd double bond thrown in. It isn't water soluble and its metabolite is psychoactive. Whilst a high might last a few hours at the most, it can be traced weeks later. However it is very difficult to kill yourself with cannabis. That said the body is not good at completely getting rid of it in the short term as it is not naturally adapted to cope with it.

I like the idea that its medical benefits could be really exploited following legalisation but I don't know how you could stop lawyers arguing that the trace in your urine 20 days after use didn't contribute to that accident you have just caused. It's stuff like this that makes acceptability a challenge.

I get where you're coming from but your focus seems to be on how legally can you prove someone is impaired in order to arrest them for something - which is a completely separate argument. You admit cannabis is probably less harmful (difficult to kill yourself etc) when long term alcohol abuse, through legally acquired and taxed alcohol, can certainly kill someone (and does in many cases). I'd also say people who have problems with alcohol are more likely to be involved in violence, domestic abuse, and other destructive behaviour that might require the intervention of the police or the NHS. BTW my definition of a 'pisshead' would be a binge drinker which, in my experience a good chunk of pilots seem to be (although that may just be situational on my part). However you admit yourself you even know one who is no longer a pilot because of issues with alcohol. In short, to me, it's hard to build a case for not legalizing cannabis when the more destructive alcohol remains legal. 

Edited by hboy
1 person likes this

It 's fine by me if they end the war on drugs. I never had no beef with  them in the first place

Edited by the stinking enigma