Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SuffolkNGoode

Manx Gas Re-Banding Notification

105 posts in this topic

Has anyone else recently received one (or more) notifications of a rebanding with regard to gas charges.

I await an explanation but herewith my e-mail to them yesterday.

Sorry this may be TMI - but maybe I have missed something within my own understanding(s) of the calculations.

Hi,

Please explain the following:

1) Why did I receive two letters on the same day about the exact same subject but quite contradictory - both stating that I was being switched from band E to band F, but one stating this meant there would be a daily INCREASE to my standing charge per day of 18.2372p and the other that there would be a DECREASE to my standing charge per day of 18.2372p!!!

2) Can you please also explain how you have arrived at your revision decision, as (from having checked my own records by adding any 6 consecutive two month bills), I cannot get anywhere near your calculated figure revising my consumption from band E to band F. You have stated I have an average property consumption of 16,366kWh per year.

The following are the sixteen months data from 1 December 2015 to 4 April 2017. 

01/02/2016

04/04/2016

13/06/2016

03/08/2016

05/10/2016

02/12/2016

01/02/2017

04/04/2017

I've not had any letters. On the plus side I'm moving to oil when I move house shortly.

38 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Looks like you'll get another letter:

http://manxgas.com/index.php/news

Thanks slinky.

Hmm - this is an apology for a small minority of their customers (well worded) not a small minority of the 3,500 being contacted regarding re-banding having been sent duplicate letters. Unfortunately, it doesn't answer either of my queries, but I will wait and see what they actually say.

Your letters are contradictory though, and therefore not duplicates.

Life works this way...20% of customers will complain or moan, 70% of customers are just too busy working and getting on with their lives, half expecting this company to pull their pants down anyway.  70% won't really notice and will pay up unquestioningly. 10% can't afford it, and half of them will freeze their bollocks off this winter. 200 will likely die earlier than expected this year. Job jobbed Mr Chairman!

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, woolley said:

Duplicates are what Manx Gas called them though:

Manx Gas Statement           5th May 2017

Manx Gas is apologising to some 3,500 of its customers as the result of an administrative error in letters they have received relating to the new banded charging system associated with their gas bills.

Stuart Crossman, director at Manx Gas said: “When we introduced the new banding system we made a commitment to all customers that we would monitor and review their consumption on an annual basis to ensure that the banding level is accurate and fairly reflects the volume of gas used. The letters recently sent out form part of the commitment but, unfortunately, a small minority of our customers have received duplicate letters in error.”

He added: "This may have led to some confusion. We apologise for this error, have identified affected customers and will be clarifying their position in a new letter to them early next week. However, if there are any immediate queries please do not hesitate to contact us."

I got one of the 'duplicates' as well, and will have to wait for letter #3 to see what the real story is.  I also reckon I'm nowhere near to having to move bands.  It's also worth pointing out, that with only about 35,000 households on the Island, even if everyone has gas (they certainly don't) that would still be 10%, which is hardly a 'small' minority.

53 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Life works this way...20% of customers will complain or moan, 70% of customers are just too busy working and getting on with their lives, half expecting this company to pull their pants down anyway.  70% won't really notice and will pay up unquestioningly. 10% can't afford it, and half of them will freeze their bollocks off this winter. 200 will likely die earlier than expected this year. Job jobbed Mr Chairman!

Some can't afford it and will freeze their bollocks off and it'll make no effin' difference in reducing the bill because they loaded the standing charge by reducing the gas unit cost. So it's pay for them work or play.

1 person likes this

how they justify charging more for using what's already there is beyond me.

By my working out, I'm at the start of the pipe, so should pay very little, the guy next-door uses more of the pipe infrastructure, should pay a little more, the people at the end of my street should pay the most, coz they are using more of the pipe.  

You're one of those "no such thing as society" fellas. ;)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

how they justify charging more for using what's already there is beyond me.

By my working out, I'm at the start of the pipe, so should pay very little, the guy next-door uses more of the pipe infrastructure, should pay a little more, the people at the end of my street should pay the most, coz they are using more of the pipe.  

Yes and no.

I agree with the concept of the Standing Charge and cheaper gas per unit.  Where this falls down is that you and I can live next door to each other in identical houses and I can be ban C and you can be band F based on usage.  Even though the cost of servicing our houses is the same you will get getting penalised for using more gas (and making them more profit).

The current set up simply shafts their best customers or in real terms the best customers are supporting the rest.     

Anyway, I'm moving to oil in the house we are moving to so I'm kind of past caring.:P

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Duplicates are what Manx Gas called them though:

I got one of the 'duplicates' as well, and will have to wait for letter #3 to see what the real story is.  I also reckon I'm nowhere near to having to move bands.  It's also worth pointing out, that with only about 35,000 households on the Island, even if everyone has gas (they certainly don't) that would still be 10%, which is hardly a 'small' minority.

Their defensive spin has already begun.

As Woolley points out they are NOT duplicates and as you point out reference to a small minority immediately reeks of cover up BS.

22 hours ago, woolley said:

Ahh, but they are not contradictory...

I had 2 letters. One stating an increase of circa 12p per day and another stating a decrease of MINUS 12p per day.

My recollection of basic maths tells me that a negative decrease is an increase.

They're still a bunch of robbing fucking bastards. I wouldn't mind the increase in the standing charge if the unit cost goes down, even if just a fraction on a penny, but it stays the same.

Although I didn't want to afford it, the 4k I spent on converting to oil gave me the best telephone moment I have had for some time when the guy at Manx Gas asked me why I wanted the meter removed. I had great joy in saying "because some fool thinks I am paying you over 400 quid a year just for the privilege of buying your overpriced product ".

As an aside oil has worked out much cheaper and I would recommend the change to anyone !

4 people like this

12 hours ago, BigDave said:

Ahh, but they are not contradictory...

I had 2 letters. One stating an increase of circa 12p per day and another stating a decrease of MINUS 12p per day.

My recollection of basic maths tells me that a negative decrease is an increase.

They're still a bunch of robbing fucking bastards. I wouldn't mind the increase in the standing charge if the unit cost goes down, even if just a fraction on a penny, but it stays the same.

Ahh. Clever. However, I stand my ground. They are not identical and therefore they are not duplicates.