Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Six appeal

Seagate help

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone here can help with a "crashed " HDD?  I have a Seagate freeagent goflex desktop storage device (3TB) and it's decided to no longer play ball.  I was in the process of copying everything from it to another disk and now I see no content at all. I'd only got about half way through the job. The disc runs and has no repetitive "clicking" noise like a broken reader, so I'm assuming it's still ok as a disc unit, but I cant read anything off it.   Is there a programme suitable to try or have I to bite the bullet and send it away to Seagate, who offer a service to recover lost data but it's a fortune they want? 

1 person likes this

If you were giving it heavy use then it might be worth just leaving it for a while in case it's a thermal issue.

Also check all the connections to its PCB are secure.

1 person likes this

You can use software like DDRescue to clone the drive sector by sector as quickly as possible before it fails

1 person likes this

When I'm dealing with data recoveries, I tend to take the approach of getting the disk as-is read onto a spare/image on a good drive as it means I can mess around with it.

When a drive is failing, there's no guarantee on the longeivity or usefulness of it, so you want to be working from a clone that's reliable.

If you have another drive, then you can use ddrescue or ghost to copy from it. Instructions on using Ubuntu with DDRescue are here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

I deliberately avoid plugging a failing drive into a Windows PC, as Windows is a lot more chatty and pokes around a lot more, reading and writing to the journal etc. which can do a lot more harm than good and end up making your job more difficult down the line. 

On 06/06/2017 at 6:20 PM, AcousticallyChallenged said:

When I'm dealing with data recoveries, I tend to take the approach of getting the disk as-is read onto a spare/image on a good drive as it means I can mess around with it.

When a drive is failing, there's no guarantee on the longeivity or usefulness of it, so you want to be working from a clone that's reliable.

If you have another drive, then you can use ddrescue or ghost to copy from it. Instructions on using Ubuntu with DDRescue are here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

I deliberately avoid plugging a failing drive into a Windows PC, as Windows is a lot more chatty and pokes around a lot more, reading and writing to the journal etc. which can do a lot more harm than good and end up making your job more difficult down the line. 

Most sensible tech advice i've read on Manx Forums for a long time!  Exactly what i would do.  Image first (sector by sector mode), and recover from that