Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
war baby

Douglas Canival 2017

23 posts in this topic

Did anybody else go?  I did and thought it was much improved.  The earlier timing helped and the sunny weather.  I enjoyed the different nations appearing in their traditional costumes.

It was a bit chaotic by the Villa. Nobody seemed to know what was going on, and they split the vehicles and the walkers, which seemed daft. 

A good afternoon, certainly helped by the weather.

An opportunity for the government to put a few quid in the coffers by opening the villa bars and letting people use the facility before, during and after.

instead they paid security guys to be there and prevent people going in to the building to use the toilets.

idiots

6 people like this

46 minutes ago, sarahc said:

It was a bit chaotic by the Villa. Nobody seemed to know what was going on, and they split the vehicles and the walkers, which seemed daft. 

I agree. It was a complete mess and no one knew what was happening. 

The Filipino team  put on a great show though.!!

2 people like this

34 minutes ago, trmpton said:

A good afternoon, certainly helped by the weather.

An opportunity for the government to put a few quid in the coffers by opening the villa bars and letting people use the facility before, during and after.

instead they paid security guys to be there and prevent people going in to the building to use the toilets.

idiots

I couldn't believe this. It's supposed to be a community facility. We own it! 

3 people like this

1 minute ago, sarahc said:

I couldn't believe this. It's supposed to be a community facility. We own it! 

It would probably cost them more to staff it on a Sunday on their rates of pay than they would likely make so it probably made sense to them.

5 minutes ago, MediaStar said:

It would probably cost them more to staff it on a Sunday on their rates of pay than they would likely make so it probably made sense to them.

There were staff there making sure people didn't go in to use the toilets who were no doubt on double time

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

There were staff there making sure people didn't go in to use the toilets who were no doubt on double time

I'm that case it's pretty silly then. They should have had the bar open and been serving coffee. They'd have probably done quite well. 

It was vastly improved. That's a long Promenade to hike along and stopping it at the Villa was a great idea, and it provided an ideal ending point, lots of people up on the Colonnade and both sides of the road. It was a bit sparse after The Queens Hotel but you could see there was a lot going on just further along at the Villa.

Brilliant atmosphere, loads of highlights but as someone has said the Filipino troop looked fantastic. I enjoyed the Bulgarian dancers too, in their national costume. A couple of brass bands, and that always adds a great atmosphere to any Carnival. Bagpipes too aboard one float. I liked that some of the dancing troups put on a show at the end of the parade, there might have been a few things going on in the gardens too.

I'm not quite sure about all that coloured powder stuff but everyone who took part surely enjoyed it because they all had massive smiles on their faces.

Great that the Douglas Carnival is well and truly back. Today's event looked to be a good format for following years. If the weather was wet I hope the Villa would be available for a back up, but yes get at least one of the bars open.

Edited by gettafa
1 person likes this

So in a nutshell, Douglas Town Councillors are doing their best to get the carnival back on track and IOM Govt doing their best to pull the rug out from under their feet...

It's not the same with real ethnic diverse groups celebrating their national pride. It was much better in 1975 with a load of blacked up van drivers in grass skirts playing the bongo drums. That's surely the authentic Manx way? 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, hboy said:

It's not the same with real ethnic diverse groups celebrating their national pride. It was much better in 1975 with a load of blacked up van drivers in grass skirts playing the bongo drums. That's surely the authentic Manx way? 

Have you ever considered growing up?

Anyone remember the dude whose grass skirt caught on fire, might of been Sulby carnival years ago?

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Have you ever considered growing up?

Have you ever considered you're possibly the least amusing poster on here by a mile? It's like trying to decipher the whit and wisdom of rain man. Is nobody even allowed to make a joke on here anymore? 

Edited by hboy

Just now, hboy said:

Have you ever comsidered you're the least amusing poster in here by a mile? It's like trying to decipher the whit and wisdom of rain man. Is nobody even allowed to make a joke on here anymore? 

Normally yes, but you are so far from being funny. You are like a sad throw back to the 1970's

So back on topic - You would have thought that Douglas Councillors would have been in touch with the Villa. It's not like the carnival was a secret