Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
llap

Capitalism

4 posts in this topic

"There is no such thing as ethical consumption under late capitalism."

Is this true? I find it difficult to believe anyone with a brain could come to any other conclusion.

1 person likes this

Seems a rather sweeping statement.  

No such thing?  What, ever?  In no circumstances?

My understanding of economic growth is that it doesn't mean ever greater monolithic consumption; rather the ignored facets of life open up as society climbs up Maslow's hierarchy of needs.  

There wasn't much of a call on piano teachers or fitness instructors in the 1930s but economic growth has enabled many more people to find employment in those niches now.  

It is oh so easy to dismiss all this as the ... Golgafrincham B ark ... to provide an obscure Hitchhiker's reference ... but it is what provides the diversity of an advanced economy.  It isn't the depth of the consumption rather it's breadth.

I don't see this as some necessarily unsustainable process. We've got to manage our environment sustainably and put our power production onto a renewable path but the rational optimist in me thinks this is perfectly possible. 

In this Corbynista world I don't see enterprise and doing things for mutual profits as wrong.

People don't face a monolithic career down the pit or in the mill.  They mutually work with other people for the benefit of both.

Capitalism is The process for finding society's needs and filling them by mutual agreement & profit.

That isn't something to be demonised, as is happening in too broad a portion of our political spectrum.

as so often, Churchill summed it up in a way Jeremy Corbyn couldn't comprehend:

Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is--the strong horse that pulls the whole cart.

1 person likes this