Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheDruid-3X3

Wanna Cry Virus

16 posts in this topic

Awens & Greetings to All:

I heard a News Broadcast on the way to Work that there has been a New Computer Virus that is called 'Wanna Cry Virus'.  

It is some sort of Virus that Encrypts your Data, Pictures and Files and causes your Computer to say to You that You have to Pay a Ransom in order to get Your Computer Free of the Encryption Code and get your Files back.

It has been Reported that it is mainly going through Europe but has come across into something like 150 different Countries.

So has any of You Guys had to deal with this New Virus?

3X3

Edited by TheDruid-3X3

Wannacry was months ago, pretty much the same as Cryptlocker and a few others from the past few years. Basically encrypts everything, and you're fucked unless you pay the ransom in bitcoin. 

It was the outbreak back in May that fucked up the NHS.

Popped up in the news again today as the guy who foiled the global attack by stumbling across the "kill switch" was arrested at DefCon for his alleged involvement with the development and distribution of the Kronos Trojan.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BigDave said:

It was the outbreak back in May that fucked up the NHS.

Popped up in the news again today as the guy who foiled the global attack by stumbling across the "kill switch" was arrested at DefCon for his alleged involvement with the development and distribution of the Kronos Trojan.

no good deed goes unpunished

Yesterday after Work, I did a spot of Research on this Virus and found these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaCry_ransomware_attack

http://wfla.com/2017/05/15/wanna-cry-virus-infecting-computers-around-the-world-tampa-bay-area-bracing-for-impact/

http://bgr.com/2017/05/15/wanna-cry-ransomware-virus-windows-wannacry-explainer/

There is even an Informative YouTube about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jivRCrm4jSw

In my Research on this Virus, it recommended that you immediately do a Full Scan for Antivirus Program Updates and then run a Computer Virus Scan on your Computer.

I did that Friday morning just before going off to help do Set Up for the Japanese Powell Street Festival and my McAfee Antivirus found that Quarantined some sort of 'Trojan Horse' Virus.  That may have been Wanna Cry.

So since this a Virus that has Infected Computers of Major Governments, Institutions and Companies, make sure to do your Antivirus Updates and Scans.

3X3

Don't you think that one of these days some little scrote is going to come up with one of these that will take the whole world down?

It is such a vulnerability, our overdependency on computing.

1 person likes this

.......when computers were introduced to education administration we were told ,'no filing cabinets, no more paper'!..............after the first few years we realised we still had the filing cabinets and still needed them, we also used far more paper than we ever did before.............:huh:

On 05/08/2017 at 9:40 AM, woolley said:

Don't you think that one of these days some little scrote is going to come up with one of these that will take the whole world down?

It is such a vulnerability, our overdependency on computing.

On 06/08/2017 at 0:26 AM, Bobbie Bobster said:

Yep, back to ledger books and quill pens we should go. Bah humbug!

As one who remembers the office prior to computing, I'm the first one to acknowledge the value of technology in making life easier and more efficient. I'd need four times more staff without it for a start! However, that does not mean that we should be blind to the fallibilities that lie therein to trip us up. We are far too blasé about it. Recent examples of BA and the NHS serve to highlight this. I know businesses personally who have lost their entire data history on the cloud because someone told them it would be fine.

I am not advocating pens and ledgers, just more awareness of vulnerability. And we should have fallback strategies should everything be shut down by terrorism, solar activity or whatever.

......yes, I think the complacency and belief that computers are the be all and end all is one of my main concerns........complimentary systems are usually fail safe............

11 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Lol :D

I thought there might have been some kind of cogent, interesting response there. Why did I think that, I wonder?

I'm just waiting for a companion post along the lines of:

22 hours ago, woolley said:

I am not advocating actually leaving the EU...

Edited by Bobbie Bobster

Well I'm not biting on that, but there is no connection anyway. I use technology all the time. Couldn't function as effectively in business without it. All I am saying is that there is too much reliance on nothing going wrong with it.