Barrie Stevens

The British Library

52 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

It is hard to prove a negative. You cannot prove the existence of God but you cannot disprove it I either. I can only outline the massive research I did regarding Captain Walter Charteris and his desire to contact me via the sword he held when he was killed.

As regards my late father coming back to his office during his own funeral and sorting out papers for me how can I prove it? How can you disprove it? I was the only one there. None of my family want to believe it!

As regards the "Ladies" in Safeways that time...Well, I was required to wait outside to allow anyone to leave before moving in to clean. I had the door ajar slightly and knew someone was in there. Water running, hand dryer etc..Usual things. I then closed the door and ages later no one had come out. When I went in the water had stopped and the cubicle door swung and creaked...How can I prove what I heard and saw? Other people have seen the ghost of woman walk through the toilet wall. You can't prove it You can't disprove it.

I have cleaned a pub where heavy bar stools were thrown across the room. I once said to the entity mentally "Do it again!"  And they did! How can I prove it? How can you disprove it? These things relate to the "Most haunted etc thread.

My local The Admiral J McHardy is called the haunted pub. One burly barman turned and ran when the ghost manifested and built up before his very eyes. I have not seen it. Others have. I do have a video of the pub dog being bothered and going mad. It was done through a camera phone and only later did we see these orbs like shiny bubbles tormenting the dog. I am told these orbs are spirits not actually taking human form and are usually only seen by cameras and not the naked eye. I would like to post the video here but it is too big for the website.

......the question was to Aristotle..............

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I am a sceptic of all things supernatural. Interesting for instance, that UFO sightings seem to have dried up since we all started carrying cameras with us 24/7. However, I also have an open mind and I know that there are things about existence that are way beyond our understanding. Nobody fully understands particle physics at the quantum level or the nature of existence at all for that matter. I therefore keep my open mind about what might or might not be possible. To flatly deny a premise is pointless.

I agree that to flatly deny a premise is pointless, but the issue then becomes how much time are you willing to invest in investigating them.

The world's wisdom literature does often contain useful insights into the human condition and the way the human brain works allows totally different, but still useful, insights to be drawn from the same work in different cultural and social contexts, but when it comes to providing advice about the nature of reality the religious texts, and the folk wisdom of the world are all basically useless.

Humans believed in a demon haunted world centred around their immortal existence and made this central to their claims about physical reality.  Both are psychological pipe dreams.  There is very little point trying to re-interpret these beliefs in the same way we have re-interpreted the insights into human behaviour given in the bible, Buddhist texts etc.  They don't give us any insight into the physical reality of the world.

Going to the evidence, examining it and understanding the knowledge physics, chemistry and biology has given us is the way to understand how our brains work and what happens to them as we develop, grow, die and rot.

The world's religious and folk beliefs try to fill our ignorance with hearsay based on psychological hopes and religious faith.  It is pointless wasting your time with it - it no more explains the brain mind problem than Genesis explains the development of the universe.  Put it to one side and see where the evidence takes you - I won't say it is impossible religious insights provide some truth - but that will require some evidence that it is worth considering them.  If that evidence turns up, I'm willing to re-look at them, but until then, don't flatly deny them, but put them to one side as (currently) not worth wasting your time on.

8 hours ago, woolley said:

He's the forum's Flashman.

Google his name. Walter Charteris.  And yes, I did have correspondence with the late George Fraser of Baldrine and who did obliquely mention Walter Charteris in "Flashman at the Charge" in the sense of a character who acted as a messenger or "galloper" at Balaclava and George Fraser was surprised to find that Walter had been a member of his old regiment The Gordon Highlanders albeit acting as ADC to his uncle Lord Lucan...Fraser was also in the Border Regiment in "Quartered Safe Out Here"..

9 hours ago, Aristotle said:

So you didn't consider any natural explanations. You skipped any sort of investigative process and went straight to a supernatural conclusion.

No. Barrie is tired old fellow...

9 hours ago, Aristotle said:

No, they are not made of anything, magic or otherwise. Ectoplasm is a nonsense.

I have seen ectoplasm at the Dukes Road Christian Spiritualist church in Douglas.

9 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Google his name. Walter Charteris.  And yes, I did have correspondence with the late George Fraser of Baldrine and who did obliquely mention Walter Charteris in "Flashman at the Charge" in the sense of a character who acted as a messenger or "galloper" at Balaclava and George Fraser was surprised to find that Walter had been a member of his old regiment The Gordon Highlanders albeit acting as ADC to his uncle Lord Lucan...Fraser was also in the Border Regiment in "Quartered Safe Out Here"..

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=captain+walter+charteris&qpvt=captain+walter+charteris&qpvt=captain+walter+charteris&qpvt=captain+walter+charteris&FORM=IGRE

The above link shows the white marble memorial to Captain Walter Charteris in Aberlady Kirk East Lothian near Edinburgh..I took the photo having been directed there by Walter himself

57 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I have seen ectoplasm at the Dukes Road Christian Spiritualist church in Douglas.

Did it survive the mop, Barrie? 

2 people like this