Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheTeapot

Food festival

10 posts in this topic

Food festival down at the villa this weekend. Been doing a bit of work there on the set up and here is my advice for anyone thinking of going. Wear sensible footwear, decent boots or even wellies, its pretty wet on the field after last nights rain. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Wear sensible footwear

Honestly, just this in general is so important. So many delicate flowers who go "I can't get my shoes dirty!" or screech "I can't walk that far in HEEEEEEEEEEEELS" 

But yes, I'll be there snaffling the tasters as I doubt I'll be able to afford the prices of some of the stuff! 

On 9/13/2017 at 2:49 PM, Tarne said:

But yes, I'll be there snaffling the tasters as I doubt I'll be able to afford the prices of some of the stuff! 

Enter the Hot Dog eating competition, it's a free meal right there for you food bank types. 

4 people like this

Its not as bad on the field now as I thought it would be, despite lots of vans driving on it. Beginning to look pretty cramped now with all the stalls etc, it should probably still be at the nunnery really, or another larger site. There will be 20 real ales, 1 lager and 3 ciders available in the beer tent, so things could get a little messy.

Edited by TheTeapot

I may have to starve then as I'll be at the ale. If you see a slovenly looking chap wearing shorts in the beer tent, please bring me a pie. 

5 hours ago, paswt said:

Mmmmm pies form "Betty's :)

You like your women fat then? 

1 person likes this

Went to the first couple of these..ok for a wander round and maybe buying one or two artisan type products you wouldn't perhaps buy normally. Havent bothered since they started charging people to walk around some stalls....bumped into three people today who had been today and without prompting all said it was rather crap......shame if that's the case.

8 hours ago, sausage said:

Went to the first couple of these..ok for a wander round and maybe buying one or two artisan type products you wouldn't perhaps buy normally. Havent bothered since they started charging people to walk around some stalls....bumped into three people today who had been today and without prompting all said it was rather crap......shame if that's the case.

They will probably justify charging by pointing to the numbers attending or maybe they cannot cope with larger numbers for safety reasons. I have to admit I have not gone since they started charging as I never went to the demonstrations and being charged to walk around a few stalls, many of which I had seen many times before did not sit right.

I have long argued that as with many food festivals the IoM food festival should be set up so that there is a paying section and a non paying section. The paying section is where you get the demonstrations etc and the free section is where all the stalls etc are as surely part of the point of that part of the festival is to advertise and sell local produce so surely they want as a big a footfall as they can safely deal with. Therefore why discourage an element of the population by charging to visit just the stalls.

2 people like this