Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Uhtred

Jail for benefit fraudster

I am happy to fund, via my taxes, state financial support for those who need it, but this individual...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=35922&headline=Woman is sent to jail after benefit fraud&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2017

got all she deserved. In fact, what the hell is going on when she had 20, yes 20, previous similar offences and hasn't been banged up before now...or caught sooner. The alarm bells should've been Bojang-ling.

I'll bet I'd be examining the inside of a room at the Jurby Hilton if I "forgot" to pay my road tax a damn sight sooner than 20 times.

• Like 1

I think you might find that is a reporting error

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think you might find that is a reporting error

I'd like to think it is. Nor would that be surprising.

A better question is why does income support only amount to £115 per week (£460 per month) when average rent is at least £600 per month, the lowest mortgage payments being more? I would like to know why we pay into a system for "national insurance", but if a person is genuinely in need, they don't get anything remotely near to what they need in order to survive? It reaffirms my belief that taxation is nothing more than legalised theft.

Edited by Aristotle

2 minutes ago, piebaps said:

A single person only gets up to £116.00 per week, as that link shows. I calculated £12,000 over a two year period to indicate she was on £115 per week in income support but I could be off. Still, whatever she was paid, my first sentence is correct and it's far below the average rent and well below the average mortgage.

15 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

A single person only gets up to £116.00 per week, as that link shows. I calculated £12,000 over a two year period to indicate she was on £115 per week in income support but I could be off. Still, whatever she was paid, my first sentence is correct and it's far below the average rent and well below the average mortgage.

But the rent allowance for a single person is (surprise, surprise) only meant to be enough to house one person.  A quick check finds some one-bedroom properties for below £500 a month[1] and loads below £600.  In addition this woman was in Pulrose, so she would only have been paying Council levels of rent, which might be under £116 pw.

You're getting confused by coincidence that the amount she overclaimed happens to match the single person's rent allowance.  But the overpayment to her would have been calculated taking into account what she would have been entitled to even if she had told them about her husband's job.

[1] (£116 pw X 52) / 12 = £503

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the rent allowance for a single person is (surprise, surprise) only meant to be enough to house one person.  A quick check finds some one-bedroom properties for below £500 a month[1] and loads below £600.

Irrelevant. You can't expect people to just get up and move out of their property and find a cheaper one if they're temporarily between jobs or they become sick. It is a failure to provide a reasonable safety net and I feel it is a rip off to be paying so much every month for national insurance, for a welfare safety net, when the reality of what you're faced with if you ever really do need a safety net is no such thing, as it's designed to make people slip through a net. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Not everybody has a rich daddy with connections to give them a safety net.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notwell said:

She was defrauding the system. End of chat.

From what I can see that's exactly what many in government are doing, for a lot more money, just bending the rules to suit them