Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Uhtred

Jail for benefit fraudster

72 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, WTF said:

but sometimes  they don't bother,  a few weeks inside somehow clears the debt.

It doesn't. My son's friend was overpaid benefits. He was sentenced to six weeks. When he came out he still had money deducted from his benefits 

Nice to know these SCUM are actually being penalised,I despair at some of the libturd antics these days but this gives me hope that laws and justice  do sometimes prevail.

23 minutes ago, notwell said:

At how much a week?

£20 per week I have just been informed 

1 minute ago, notwell said:

It should be paid back at the rate it was taken.

Yes, I can see how that would work  :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, WTF said:
6 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I think you will find that they can claw back any overpayments from future benefits...

but sometimes  they don't bother,  a few weeks inside somehow clears the debt.

However if you read the newspaper story that reports this (and which was linked in the first post of this thread)

Ms Cooil said that her client had already begun paying back the overpayment at a rate of £47.50 per week.

It's still going to take five years to pay it all back, but most cases are going to be like that where the fraudster is validly in receipt of some benefits and they c an be reduced to pay back the overpayment.  The only cases where something can't be reclaimed are going to be where the fraudster has no assets, current earnings or entitlement to benefits - and the lack of entitlement will probably be because they have so little link to the Island that they can be deported.

I couldn't help noticing that according to the information in the piece:

Amanda Bojang, of Oak Avenue, admitted failing to declare money earned by her husband between July 10, 2015 and March 18, 2017.

[...]The Sefton Group also confirmed that they had paid Mrs Bojang’s husband £21,790 since August 2015.

[...] She denied knowing that her husband had been working at the Palace Hotel at first, but when quizzed further, as to how she did not wonder where he was for 40 hours a week, admitted knowing

Her husband appears to have worked 40 hour weeks for about 85 weeks for £21,790, which works out at £6.40 a hour or so.  It's possibly just garbled reporting, but that looks to be less than the minimum wage of £7.50 (though it may have been a bit less in the relevant period).

Edited by Roger Mexico

Not exactly living the high life eh? It's a pity people feel they have to scam benefits and sad that for some benefit seems to be a life choice (whoooo get you with yer fancy £200 a week...meh). 

1 person likes this

Took them nearly 2 years to scam 21 grand. Had these idiots been clever enough to be born rich they could have scammed that in a month via the countryside care thingy. Burn the scum

6 people like this

10 hours ago, twinkle said:

Nice to know these SCUM are actually being penalised,I despair at some of the libturd antics these days but this gives me hope that laws and justice  do sometimes prevail.

"libturd antics"?

What in Zeus's bunghole was that all about?