Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
localyokel

Sensitive data? What is acceptable to say? Who is high risk?

This annoyed me today. Not because they’re trying to help someone who has gone missing but because of the veiled language used - “Man deemed high risk missing” 

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/man-deemed-high-risk-missing/

What on earth is being high risk? I’m sure most automatically assume that they must be a bit of a mong who is a danger to themselves, or they are a potential raving axe murderer you should stay 500 years away from. Perhaps he is a part time lion tamer or fire walker? It seems really unkind to describe someone as high risk when it’s a missing person report. Surely the important thing is that people find the guy. Do they think people are going to try harder to randomly bump into him and report seeing him if they know he’s “high risk”? Whatever that might actually be. I think it’s an awful descriptor to use in such a public announcement.

Edited by localyokel
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I think if you read that people thought you were high risk it'd be more likely to set them off. 

Surprised it wasn't TJ though

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Surprised it wasn't TJ though

That was my first thought too when I saw the headline! 

Edited by The Faceman

2 hours ago, The Faceman said:

That was my first thought too when I saw the headline! 

no, big "eat less pies" h.....

That guy is alright, considering where he's come from. He could probably do without news articles about him and speculation on the internet.

What's wrong with using the words ’high risk'.  You often see it in the media.  It lets people know the urgency of finding them.  Bit of a non-event this thread.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

That guy is alright, considering where he's come from. He could probably do without news articles about him and speculation on the internet.

But the news articles create speculation when they inform everyone that you are “deemed high risk” which was sort of my point. 

He looks like a nice person, the police should have a 'secret' picture code - for baddies use ex police line up pictures, for goodies use social media/parental footage :) That would stop speculation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The press only use nasty, smiley or 'confused' pictures. Look at various  different stories...and see what I mean.

A picture paints a thousand words...and can convict before a fair trial.

Worth a detailed study in itself.

• Like 1

It's definitely been done before AT, and you're right - it does exactly that in the minds of the public

But then so does being taken away in a police car - no one ever looks at someone in the back seat and goes "Oh, they're innocent until proven guilty" :P 

Edited by Tarne

19 hours ago, localyokel said:

This annoyed me today. Not because they’re trying to help someone who has gone missing but because of the veiled language used - “Man deemed high risk missing” 

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/man-deemed-high-risk-missing/

What on earth is being high risk? I’m sure most automatically assume that they must be a bit of a mong who is a danger to themselves, or they are a potential raving axe murderer you should stay 500 years away from. Perhaps he is a part time lion tamer or fire walker? It seems really unkind to describe someone as high risk when it’s a missing person report. Surely the important thing is that people find the guy. Do they think people are going to try harder to randomly bump into him and report seeing him if they know he’s “high risk”? Whatever that might actually be. I think it’s an awful descriptor to use in such a public announcement.

A devious little sod who enveigles and charms himself into the lives of vulnerable old people and cleans out their bank accounts.

The only high risk is if someone has caught him and is going to give him  a well deserved thrashing.

Edited by Craig King

Ooooh, now I'm intrigued. Do tell more 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

?

14 hours ago, thebees said:

He looks like a nice person, the police should have a 'secret' picture code - for baddies use ex police line up pictures, for goodies use social media/parental footage :) That would stop speculation.

Yes, he's a lovely, lovely person. Very sweet and very charming.

See my previous post.

Edited by Craig King

High Risk implies might cause harm to others. 

Vulnerable implies might come to harm.