Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
yootalkin2me

Where's Allan Bell

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The original question didn't really invade Bell's privacy in any case - no requests for addresses or car reg nos.  All they were effectively asking was if he was still on the Island.  After all if someone's first reaction, after being head of government somewhere, is to scarper out of a place, it's hardly a great vote of confidence in their political legacy.

But there's a wider question here about what is public and private.  If all Bell is doing in his well-pensioned retirement is potter round the garden or take up watercolours no one would be querying.  But if, as has been alleged, he is taking up business positions with companies that have benefited under his government or positions, then there is going to be a suspicion that (at best) he is using knowledge gained in government to advance commercial interests, possibly at an unfair advantage to rival companies.  And at worst it looks as if he is being rewarded for past favours.  So any business positions that Bell or other ex-politicians take up are perfectly valid targets of scrutiny - just as they are in the cases of Tony Blair or George Osborne.  Neither of whom have received much praise for the avid collection of post-politics gigs.

It's got fuck all to do with people what he does work wise. Given that he is about 73 I suspect he's hardly slaving away at the coalface desperate to earn money.   

He's got a wealth of knowledge and experience that I've no doubt could be of use to someone. 

And there's nothing wrong with keeping the brain  active. Otherwise you end up turning into a vegetable mentally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

Yes, there was a thread about it at the time

couldn't he get a permit.......

Whatever happened to Manannan's Review?

3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Whatever happened to Manannan's Review?

Thankfully he’s reduced to posting angry rubbish nobody reads about Brexit. No doubt he’ll be back to slagging off IOM electoral candidates come next election. It’s pretty easy to work out which self entitled right wing idiot is behind it all. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, notwell said:

It's got fuck all to do with people what he does work wise. 

Unless there was a conflict of interest arising from his days as CM.

I'd be disappointed if he became a consultant for Barclays or the Sefton or Pinewood....or HMRC - they arguably got the most out of us thanks to him ;)