Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Juan Kerr

What is the point of this for the cost?

Some of the Government cost saving initiatives and projects that we the taxpayer are funding are lost on me. I saw this was launched today. What on earth is the point of it for the cost it’s cost to set up? 

https://www.gov.im/news/2017/dec/07/vehicle-registration-search-now-available-online/

In the UK the DVLA makes money be reselling the data to the motor trade and to buyers but here the market and the number of dealers is so small I’m struggling to see why they have invested into this as the possible return on the investment, and even the benefit to the public, seems very limited indeed. So now someone can type in the number of my car and see what type of car it is, but they can already see what type of car it is as that’s presumably where they will have got the number from in the first place. But they can’t see who owns it for data protection reasons so if it’s nicked they will have no idea but they will know how much Co2 it pumps out (like anyone cares). This is claimed to be the first of a new range of massive taxpayer money wasting services by the DOI.

What really is the point other than it’s kept some managers and the IT Dept busy making it all up.

Edited by Juan Kerr
  • Like 1

Went into CES for a rear wiper blade a few months ago and they already had this ability. Typed in my reg and had all the log book details and details on my car re year model chassis and the rest ..so like you said why ?? 

• Like 1

Dunno. Should not have cost much, just a web form onto a database, but I don't personally see the value. Whoever coded the form can't spell emission.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Went into CES for a rear wiper blade a few months ago and they already had this ability. Typed in my reg and had all the log book details and details on my car re year model chassis and the rest ..so like you said why ?? 

I’m glad a few agree as it’s lost on me. I put my next door neighbours reg in and surprise, surprise, it described the make and model of a car I could already see from outside my window. It says it isn’t taxed though which is untrue as I can see the tax disc so basically it doesn’t even seem to record accurate information. 

24 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Dunno. Should not have cost much, just a web form onto a database, but I don't personally see the value. Whoever coded the form can't spell emission.

A lot of kids coming out of university can't seem to spell their own name. Apparently spelling isn't important these days.

I wonder what happens to the code when they mistype a command?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I wonder what happens to the code when they mistype a command?

The compiler or interpreter gives a syntax error for an unrecognised instruction or undeclared variable. 

Ah, like a spell checker. No need to bother learning to touch type etc. Just lash it in.

(Spent many a happy hour looking for those syntax errors).

It may be a prelude to doing away with tax discs? Anyone can check if a vehicle is taxed and it may be a requirement imposed by the UK DVLA.

Quite handy for me actually so thank you IOMG :)

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

That will be a different system relating to VIN number details for identifying parts. It won't let you know tax details etc.

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

I’m glad a few agree as it’s lost on me. I put my next door neighbours reg in and surprise, surprise, it described the make and model of a car I could already see from outside my window. It says it isn’t taxed though which is untrue as I can see the tax disc so basically it doesn’t even seem to record accurate information. 

Ahh, maybe they're using the old beer matt trick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It may be a prelude to doing away with tax discs? Anyone can check if a vehicle is taxed and it may be a requirement imposed by the UK DVLA.

Quite handy for me actually so thank you IOMG :)

Anyone can check if a car is insured too quite easily.

I have forgotten the site though FFS:angry:

I actually found the DVLA version handy last year when a dealer trying to sell me what he said was a 2013 car, actually checked out to be a 2012..to be honest it looks like a simple build, so probably cost buttons. I quite like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Is the tax disc in date though, and for the vehicle in question - or maybe your neighbour prints his own? lol.

2 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Is the tax disc in date though, and for the vehicle in question - or maybe your neighbour prints his own? lol.

In the olden days before printers and all that, on my motorbike a guinness label did the trick just fine.

• Like 1