Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Manx authorities fail to respond in Indian corruption case

Manx Radio

Well, I don't know who invented the phrase 'money talks' because clearly the opposite is the case.

It would be interesting to know who within Government is responsible for not responding to this request for information, and how the decision was justified. 

9 minutes ago, commish said:

It would be interesting to know who within Government is responsible for not responding to this request for information, and how the decision was justified. 

They probably thought it was a crank call when Inspector Patel of the Mumbai police force called and asked them if they had a Skybox. 

• Like 1

We don't need to respond as we're squeaky clean and above involvement in any such goings on. Our leaders tell us so, regularly. And if we ignore it for long enough it will probably go away too....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shit reporting as usual by local media. There's no mention in the story that there's a tax investigation in India but they throw in at the end that there's a tax information exchange agreement. The agreement is here https://www.gov.im/media/378864/india_tiea.pdf and it only covers tax matters yet the article says this is about corruption. Why mention a tax agreement at all?

Corruption would appear to be covered by Section 21 of the 1991 Criminal Justice Act https://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1991/1991-0025/CriminalJusticeAct1991_3.pdf

Just now, piebaps said:

Shit reporting as usual by local media. There's no mention in the story that there's a tax investigation in India but they throw in at the end that there's a tax information exchange agreement. The agreement is here https://www.gov.im/media/378864/india_tiea.pdf and it only covers tax matters yet the article says this is about corruption. Why mention a tax agreement at all?

Corruption would appear to be covered by Section 21 of the 1991 Criminal Justice Act https://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1991/1991-0025/CriminalJusticeAct1991_3.pdf

It intesting though if someone at the FIU just threw their request into the bin though surely? If it’s a criminal investigation there are clear gateways. 

I have to say these Tax Information Exchange Agreement's always make me smile. Strangely they always have to be signed off-island so the Minister and team have to travel to all these far-flung places and stay away from home in a hotel or whatever to get them signed up. The poor lambs.

However it also gives them the opportunity to look all statesmanlike and wave the piece of paper about like a latter day Chamberlain declaring "Tax peace in our time!" or similar. Like it somehow gives a veneer of respectability over the activities of the likes of those whose inner workings have been recently exposed.

Of course, in Reality Land it's not even worth the paper it's written on......

Requests for information or evidence from foreign jurisdictions are the bane of my working life; fortunately I’ve only ever had to do a couple; neither of which resulted in any prosecutions. I know from my dealings that these are dealt with by the Attorney General’s with assistance from the Police; probably now the FIU.

The requests have to be detailed with what information they are wanting; relating to whom and why they are wanting it, demonstrating a link to suspected criminal activity; I know that one of the ones I dealt with had to be sent back as the request was too broad.

Having been on the receiving end of these requests I’ve always found the AG’s and the Police to be efficient and helpful; I find it difficult to believe that they would just bin a request without sending a response to the requesting jurisdiction explaining why. Further details (better journalism?) would be helpful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Requests for information or evidence from foreign jurisdictions are the bane of my working life; fortunately I’ve only ever had to do a couple; neither of which resulted in any prosecutions. I know from my dealings that these are dealt with by the Attorney General’s with assistance from the Police; probably now the FIU.

The requests have to be detailed with what information they are wanting; relating to whom and why they are wanting it, demonstrating a link to suspected criminal activity; I know that one of the ones I dealt with had to be sent back as the request was too broad.

Having been on the receiving end of these requests I’ve always found the AG’s and the Police to be efficient and helpful; I find it difficult to believe that they would just bin a request without sending a response to the requesting jurisdiction explaining why. Further details (better journalism?) would be helpful.

JOURNALISM on the iom means lololololol they're probably not even graduates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Anybody else see the irony of Indian officials investigating corruption somewhere other than India...:whistling:

http://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/india

It's a good point.

A bit like members of Isle of Man Government going to foreign (usually sunny) countries to oversee their election processes. The Isle of Man has to be the worst record for dodgy election processes than anywhere in the world. But mebe that is another story.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It intesting though if someone at the FIU just threw their request into the bin though surely? If it’s a criminal investigation there are clear gateways. 

The requests have to be specific and not fishing expeditions, which is probably why all the other countries didn't respond either.

• Like 2

Plus the Isle of Man is as clean as a clean whistle,

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

Never mind the headcount, it's all about the money.

Unfortunately I imagine it would be difficult to hive out the two fortnight's vat take to get a proper idea of the expenditure. However it would still be just a gross figure and not a net.

I did wonder about comparing 2000 -> 2001 -> 2002 but cba.Times change so would it be relevant anyway?

So how was the figure being bandied about arrived at...?

Ha!  Wrong thread. Bit of a late night....

Edited by P.K.