Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
AcousticallyChallenged

Private Parking Tickets and Manx Plates

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the deal with private parking ticket is if you have Manx plates in the UK?

Does the IOMG hand out details to private companies over in England that are trying to enforce parking tickets?

Cheers

AC

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged

Really? How provoking! I wouldn't have thought they'd be allowed to, so I could set up a car park company and the government would tell me who owns XYZ car? Outrageous!

• Like 2

Just give your email to the tax office here...and they'll automatically send everyone elses info to you :)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes

Surely that's a breach of the DPA?

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Can they enforce a payment?

Depends. Probably not as it’s civil and possibly a penalty.

They could sue here or in uk and then try and register the judgment

itd cost more than it was worth.

As for Data Protection, what are they notified for?

Fella I worked with briefly parked in one of those car parks across that uses ANPR to watch you in and out. You're supposed to pay on exit by popping in your reg number at the machine and it tells you how long you've been there and charges accordingly. He drove off without paying. Letter in the post wanting something like £80 or they'll send the big guy round. Ignored it and that was that.  Short time later, he was back in his car in the UK, ANPR cop pulled him as the car was listed as having an unpaid fine. From what I can remember, he got away with it, but spent a good deal of time chatting to the cops. Wasted half a day.  So he told us anyway, in the Lake District area, was about two years ago. 

Cops wouldn’t enforce or be interested in a private car park Penalty, that’s a civil damages claim for breach of contract.

To be a fine it would have to be owned by a public authority with the correct bye laws in place.

Edited by John Wright

2 hours ago, Burt said:

Fella I worked with briefly parked in one of those car parks across that uses ANPR to watch you in and out. You're supposed to pay on exit by popping in your reg number at the machine and it tells you how long you've been there and charges accordingly. He drove off without paying. Letter in the post wanting something like £80 or they'll send the big guy round. Ignored it and that was that.  Short time later, he was back in his car in the UK, ANPR cop pulled him as the car was listed as having an unpaid fine. From what I can remember, he got away with it, but spent a good deal of time chatting to the cops. Wasted half a day.  So he told us anyway, in the Lake District area, was about two years ago. 

I've used that excuse. He was probably having an affair.

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the deal with private parking ticket is if you have Manx plates in the UK?

Does the IOMG hand out details to private companies over in England that are trying to enforce parking tickets?

Cheers

AC

If they send out a notice to keeper I'd be astounded. They get all their data from the DVLA electronically so the process for the IOM will be too far off piste for them - too much effort for too little gain.

Still if you do receive a notice to keeper, head over to forums.pepipoo.com. Don't just ignore it as there is the potential for keeper liability if they do things by the book.

10 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Hi all,

Cheers

AC

You took a gamble and lost. Just pay what you owe when they ask for it. Simple as that. You received a service you did not pay for.:)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Depends. Probably not as it’s civil and possibly a penalty.

They could sue here or in uk and then try and register the judgment

itd cost more than it was worth.

As for Data Protection, what are they notified for?

I never mentioned data protection, think that was someone else.

21 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I never mentioned data protection, think that was someone else.

Can’t I answer two posts in one?