Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
AcousticallyChallenged

Private Parking Tickets and Manx Plates

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Can’t I answer two posts in one?

Not when it looks linked to my question ...:thumbsup:

I’ve not actually had any parking tickets so no gambles yet. 

It was more of a “what would happen if” as I know lots of private companies struggle to enforce English fines for English cars, let alone those for foreign cars. 

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I’ve not actually had any parking tickets so no gambles yet. 

It was more of a “what would happen if” as I know lots of private companies struggle to enforce English fines for English cars, let alone those for foreign cars. 

They aren’t fines. They are contractual sums due. They are sued in civil courts. There was confusion in UK as to whether they could be enforced because damages for breach of contract are limited to actual losses, ie income lost because you occupied the space.

Last year the Supreme Court ruled they were enforceable/recoverable.

The contract is that they clearly display their terms, you accept them by parking (;whether you see them or not ) and by not paying you breach that contract, which has a fixed sum for breach.

• Thanks 1

Once the boat starts sailing to Liverpool again I wonder how many Manx plates will try and rely that the fine is difficult to enforce rather than pay the toll on the new Runcorn bridge. https://www.merseyflow.co.uk/

42 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They aren’t fines. They are contractual sums due. They are sued in civil courts. There was confusion in UK as to whether they could be enforced because damages for breach of contract are limited to actual losses, ie income lost because you occupied the space.

Last year the Supreme Court ruled they were enforceable/recoverable.

The contract is that they clearly display their terms, you accept them by parking (;whether you see them or not ) and by not paying you breach that contract, which has a fixed sum for breach.

Here’s one for you John.

most car parks display a disclaimer notice about damage/theft,  surely if you have paid for the privilege of parking, there should be a duty of care.

Not really. Only if it’s an unfair contract term. There are cases that say it isn’t.

On 10/01/2018 at 6:38 PM, Burt said:

Fella I worked with briefly parked in one of those car parks across that uses ANPR to watch you in and out. You're supposed to pay on exit by popping in your reg number at the machine and it tells you how long you've been there and charges accordingly. He drove off without paying. Letter in the post wanting something like £80 or they'll send the big guy round. Ignored it and that was that.  Short time later, he was back in his car in the UK, ANPR cop pulled him as the car was listed as having an unpaid fine. From what I can remember, he got away with it, but spent a good deal of time chatting to the cops. Wasted half a day.  So he told us anyway, in the Lake District area, was about two years ago. 

We parked up at Go Ape in Grisedale forrest. They have a reg recognition thingy too. When we were ready to leave, it didn't / couldn't read my plate. Someone told me if the plate has a dash in it, the camera can't identify it.

Anyway, the barrier opened without asking for payment.

The contract is that they clearly display their terms,

Yeah and some have writing so small you have to get out of your car to read is so you have to park. A variation on this is that the full sign is in the car park so you have to enter to read it and then pay to get out.

If you ring the number you "speak" to a gobby scouser who has a very well rehearsed spiel and manipulates you with the "not getting a word in edgeways technique". He didn't win on this occasion and I got my money back from the car park owner with free parking next time I shopped there.

If however the terms are adequately displayed and you choose not to comply then you have no defence.

2 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

Yeah and some have writing so small you have to get out of your car to read is so you have to park. A variation on this is that the full sign is in the car park so you have to enter to read it and then pay to get out.

If you ring the number you "speak" to a gobby scouser who has a very well rehearsed spiel and manipulates you with the "not getting a word in edgeways technique". He didn't win on this occasion and I got my money back from the car park owner with free parking next time I shopped there.

If however the terms are adequately displayed and you choose not to comply then you have no defence.

So it's only Scoucers that work there then...:rolleyes:

Slightly off topic but I was driving a car on Manx plates in the UK last year. A police car followed me for a very short while and then pulled me over. Seem's they had done a PNC check on the car and the number came up as unrecognised. They wanted to know where my car was licensed. They checked my driving licence too and their system could pick that up too. They let me go on my way without further bother. However, I do know a few friends that have been invited by post to either pay a speeding fine or attend a course about safer driving having been caught out by speed cameras in the UK (one of these being in Lancaster so quite close to the Heysham port).

So it's only Scoucers that work there then...:rolleyes:

Grow up. :rolleyes:

On the day I rang, it was a scouser. And very gobby and intimidating he was too. Totally over the top.

Edited by ballaughbiker
To add an emoticon
  • Haha 1

On 13/01/2018 at 8:06 PM, ballaughbiker said:

Grow up. :rolleyes:

On the day I rang, it was a scouser. And very gobby and intimidating he was too. Totally over the top.

i see they have just put a gobby scouser in charge of benefits.....

guaranteed to go well.....

On 15/01/2018 at 5:24 PM, woody2 said:

i see they have just put a gobby scouser in charge of benefits.....

guaranteed to go well.....

They could always swap the scouser for a useless Manx one...

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

They could always swap the scouser for a useless Manx one...

#samething