Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
yootalkin2me

Drink Driving and other offences

So, there are those that get pulled over for drink driving and get a 2 years or more driving ban and fines over £2000 but yet this clown only gets a £900 fine and only an 18 month ban even though he actually crashed and fled the scene of an accident, I feel there is some disparity here, thoughts:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=38025&headline=Motorist is banned for crashing car after drinks&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

Oh, and Isle of Man Newspapers aren't allowing comments on this particular story?

Edited by yootalkin2me
  • Like 1

He was only 25% over limit. So, instead of 12 month ban and £600 fine he got an 18 month and £900 for the aggravating factors.

The longer bans and bigger fines you refer to are for twice the limit, or more

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

He was only 25% over limit. So, instead of 12 month ban and £600 fine he got an 18 month and £900 for the aggravating factors.

The longer bans and bigger fines you refer to are for twice the limit, or more

I don't quite understand why there are varying degrees of being pissed at the wheel offences, either youre over the limit or you're not.

I can imagine a scenario where someone could be shit faced blind drunk and drive like an advanced Police driver and not a scrape on the vehicle parked up nicely (I have done this in my past) and another where someone who is just a little bit over the limit and smashes theirs and others cars. Also, I could be only slightly over and some old duffer in a trilby hat or someone wacked out a bit on prescription medicine smashes into me and I'd be the one charged and become a social pariah.

23 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I don't quite understand why there are varying degrees of being pissed at the wheel offences, either youre over the limit or you're not.

I can imagine a scenario where someone could be shit faced blind drunk and drive like an advanced Police driver and not a scrape on the vehicle parked up nicely (I have done this in my past) and another where someone who is just a little bit over the limit and smashes theirs and others cars. Also, I could be only slightly over and some old duffer in a trilby hat or someone wacked out a bit on prescription medicine smashes into me and I'd be the one charged and become a social pariah.

'I don't quite understand'

QED

ps. i'm really getting into the spirit of this forum thing. :) 

You are, all you need to do now is write some posts that aren't factual and youve nailed it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You would think someone aged 21 would know better, its not like its 1970 anymore. 

1 minute ago, yootalkin2me said:

You are, all you need to do now is write some posts that aren't factual and youve nailed it.

I agree. Either drunk by definition or not. WTF is with the scale.

Is somebody just a little bit of a murderer, a bit of a rapist or a bit of a thief. One does not commit a bit of a crime, just a crime, Shirley.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thebees said:

You would think someone aged 21 would know better, its not like its 1970 anymore. 

Same bloke last xmas was done for drugs, wasn't he ?

17 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

The law's an ass. What you can't avoid, embrace.

34 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Is somebody just a little bit of a murderer, a bit of a rapist or a bit of a thief. One does not commit a bit of a crime, just a crime, Shirley.

All of those crimes you list as 'black or white' have various degrees of badness, and various sentences for the guilty.  I think drink driving should be the same - 1point over the limit the next morning, with nobody hurt is a completely different crime to driving while totally wasted and wiping out a family of 4 on the pavement.  Are you saying they should be treated identically, with no scale of penalties?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

All of those crimes you list as 'black or white' have various degrees of badness, and various sentences for the guilty.  I think drink driving should be the same - 1point over the limit the next morning, with nobody hurt is a completely different crime to driving while totally wasted and wiping out a family of 4 on the pavement.  Are you saying they should be treated identically, with no scale of penalties?

Ah, but what if someone was 5 times over the limit and drove home without incident or near misses and were then arrested at home shortly after, would that equal someone who was just over the limit and smashes into a few cars, by your logic (I think) the one who was 5 times over would be considered the worst offender?

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:
44 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Sorry, but rape is rape and murder is murder. I don't see a sliding scale in severity.

Drink Driving is similar in most respects.

Two drivers get pulled over and fail the breath test. One by 20%, one by 50%. both guilty of the same offence.

You went to extreme to compare somebody wiping out a family to somebody just blowing over the limit. Am I missing something here ? ( apart from a second hip op ):)

• Like 2

I'm sure we all drove better than the standard of today's drivers while we were totally shitfaced!

Edited by finlo
Fucking stupid auto correct
  • Haha 1

The issue is not breaking the law, nor is it getting caught, at the end of the day it all comes down to who can lie the best and who can afford the best lawyer/advocate. I know some nice people who have criminal records because they 'told the truth', I also know some dreadful people who wander around like they're pure as the driven, such is life.

Finlo, you are probably correct :)

ETA - Dilligaf, he had £4 of weed, in all honesty I feel really sorry for the kid. Christmas eve having a joint with his mates and they busted him? Come on, pfft, like I said before its not the 70's any more. Jesus wept. Thanks for bringing that up - fuel for the pyre. FDP scum! OUT RAGE OUS! I cannot even believe this got to court. 

Edited by thebees
£4 worth of weed and they took him to court??

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

I'm sure we all drove better than the standard of today's drivers while we were totally surfaced!

You mean "shitfaced". I agree.