Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

A thread is running on racism, a scourge on society. As a society we look to bridge divisions between races, cultures and religions, all becoming more and more intertwined. Yet our current education system only highlights and entrenches the differences and prejudices that so often divide society by allowing the existence of faith schools. Surely, diluting any schools religious population would serve to emphasise the common values that we all share? The Atheist and secularist, Phillip Pullman puts his case...

"It's difficult to bring to mind a more divisive policy, or one more deleterious to social cohesion and respect, than one that allows schools to label children at the start of their lives with certain beliefs and then divide them up on that basis."

Professional Atheist, Richard Dawkins would question, "Isn't it always a form of child abuse to label children as possessors of beliefs that they are too young to have thought about?"

Faith schools provide a very early example of entrenching the differences that can lead to old prejudices. Thousands of children everyday attend 'hard-line' faith schools, often less than well-monitored and unregistered, where pupils are segregated by sex and where the curriculum and 'teachers' might struggle meeting acceptable professional educational standards.

So the recognition of differences and indoctrination are engrained early. Whether those influences are religious, cultural or racial. Perhaps if children were allowed to reach an age of reason, and be allowed to decide for themselves about their beliefs we might be living in a very different world?

• Like 7

If religions wish to educate children into their beliefs, there is more than enough opportunity on Saturday and Sunday to do that.  The main task of education should be secular and non-sectarian.  The sooner faith schools go the better in my view.  Certainly teach about religions in schools - but comparatively and with a strong dose of secular ethics and morality too, but to allow sects and religions to segregate themselves and indoctrinate the young at tax payers expense; I feel it is very divisive.  Their expense, their time - I've no complaints, but not on the public purse.

• Like 6

The inequalities in social class also interplay with instilling prejudice in early childhoods. Public, and expensive private schools serving to project a sense of entitlement at thirty-grand a year or more but that's yet another symptom of division.

Most faith schools are government-funded, others are provided with grants be they based on Judaic, islamic or christian beliefs.

The only solutions would be to enforce a balanced accommodation of the different belief systems in all schools or make education a completely secular operation.

• Like 2

I am implacably opposed to all faith schools. Religion has absolutely no place in schools.

• Like 6

Is that it? It wasn't intended as a local observation, more the prevalence of faith schools in the UK. You don't see them as divisive? 

I see them as very divisive. I only mentioned one as it the closest with any impact on our children.

All religions know that a child's mind will accept almost anything without question which is why they want faith schools just as they (maybe covertly) want social division and special rules and privilege for their followers.

• Like 2

Saw a report on this on the BBC(?) a couple of weeks ago, any "institution" that "teachs" more than 5 children for more than X amount of hours must be inspected, meet standards, follow curriculums, etc.

Interestingly, the report showed Jewish and Muslim faith "schools" as part of the investigation.

1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

Saw a report on this on the BBC(?) a couple of weeks ago, any "institution" that "teachs" more than 5 children for more than X amount of hours must be inspected, meet standards, follow curriculums, etc.

Interestingly, the report showed Jewish and Muslim faith "schools" as part of the investigation.

What's interesting about that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

A little thing called balance.

You've lost us. Do explain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when those kids in the usa a few weeks got shot, they all asked god to save them, god replied" i am not allowed in schools anymore".....

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

You've lost us. Do explain.

Okay.  I will explain (for the usual suspects).

Normally when "faith schools" are mentioned in the media, the bias is normally towards instances of Islamic faith schools.

At least Jewish faith schools were also mentioned.

11 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Okay.  I will explain (for the usual suspects).

Normally when "faith schools" are mentioned in the media, the bias is normally towards instances of Islamic faith schools.

At least Jewish faith schools were also mentioned.

Ah gotcha. I was just trying to find the Donald Trump or Brexit angle that's all.