Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Albert Tatlock

Students won't work in UCM refectory

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/students-wont-work-in-ucm-refectory-says-principal/

Why not though? Why have pensioned government employees doing it when it's the ideal place for supervised students to learn and demonstrate what they are expected to be doing for a living in a year or so?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think you read it wrong Albert. Students won't work..full stop. Teenagers and kitchen don't mix - ever tried to get one to wash up?

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have been following this story and one thing has struck me as odd when they talk about lay offs.  Why does what is essentially a school cafe need a business development manager?  I may be wrong but I don’t think the buttery has one or paparazzi for example.... it just seems a very made up job 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I have been following this story and one thing has struck me as odd when they talk about lay offs.  Why does what is essentially a school cafe need a business development manager?  I may be wrong but I don’t think the buttery has one or paparazzi for example.... it just seems a very made up job 

The whole reportage of this has been typically muddled and unclear. There seems to be two separate, but in some way linked, issues involved. One is simply the provision of catering/refectory services within the college and the other is the delivery of catering/hospitality  teaching as part of the educational purpose of UCM. How exactly these matters are linked has not been clearly explained. The potential redundancies have been stated as affecting both “ordinary” catering staff and up to four lecturing staff involved in the delivery of training courses. Exactly what are the issues and inter-relationships is completely unclear. So thanks Manx media.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Yes hilarious isn’t it. What cafe needs a Business Development Manager? Sounds like a typical public sector joke job. Probably paid £40,000 a year with a target to grow crisp and pop sales by 20% over the next 5 years so they bring in an extra £250 in revenue. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What's the job description?

If they are making cuts just get the students to bring their own lunch in, lots of school kids do it they will then learn how to make a sandwich and dispose of their rubbish, this would be an education in itself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

If they are making cuts just get the students to bring their own lunch in, lots of school kids do it they will then learn how to make a sandwich and dispose of their rubbish, this would be an education in itself.

Most banks and other big businesses get by on a couple of vending machines or a sandwich run. Amazing they still actually have a canteen that prepares food and employs people when they could probably do a deal with a local sandwich shop to send a van up there around lunchtime to sell people sandwiches. It’s like living in the 1950s, it’s not like they are school kids. 

• Thanks 3

How would the student's time in the refectory be organised around their lessons? It would be a recipe for a cock up in my opinion.

When I attended college, both at Hanover Street and the current establishment, there was a lovely old girl and an assistant who basically ran the refectory. It consisted of tea, coffee, sandwiches, pop and crisps etc. Is a full meal service essential?

• Like 1

Just organise a couple of minibuses to run them down to McDs or up to Paddy's....:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

What's the job description?

WANKER.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Government - made up job... never, I don't believe it :rolleyes: