Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Some rich fellas living here these days....

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Nine Manx residents in the Sunday Times Rich List, what would you do with £3,556 Billion?

Steady on, he ain't that rich. 

Posted (edited)

His £3.556  billion is an excellent illustration of why gambling is mostly for losers,

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

It's 3.56 billion not 3,556 billion

Should have gone to Specsavers!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, guzzi said:

His £3.556  billion is an excellent illustration of why gambling is mostly for losers,

It really is quite mental, gambling is the new tobacco. The advertising for it and sponsorship by it is everywhere. We're drowning in it. And it can all be given the thumbs up by simply adding "When the fun stops, stop". Like it's that simple. I know a few people who work in gambling on the island, I won't say who for, but the bonuses they brag about at the end of each year are quite staggering. Disgusting industry. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Some very clever and commercially savvy people in there. I didn't know the cannabis oil guy was one of them. Total no brainer why we don't expand that industry here, huge growth potential and we have a billionaire on the rock who could assist government in building it.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

It really is quite mental, gambling is the new tobacco. The advertising for it and sponsorship by it is everywhere. We're drowning in it. And it can all be given the thumbs up by simply adding "When the fun stops, stop". 

It's rich (irony not really intended) when Sky Sports presenters pop up in gambling adverts for their own channel in the ten-times-per-hour breaks in the programs they're actually presenting at that very moment. I'm sure that used to be against some code of conduct or other. It almost makes you miss Andy Gray.

Edited by Sheldon

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

It really is quite mental, gambling is the new tobacco. The advertising for it and sponsorship by it is everywhere. We're drowning in it. And it can all be given the thumbs up by simply adding "When the fun stops, stop". Like it's that simple. I know a few people who work in gambling on the island, I won't say who for, but the bonuses they brag about at the end of each year are quite staggering. Disgusting industry. 

Couldn't agree more LC. The amount of advertising time thrown at this is staggering. It started with the National Lottery once a week. That jumped to twice a week followed by endless scratch cards. Throw the Euro Lottery into the fray and that's just scratching the surface.

31 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

It's rich (irony not really intended) when Sky Sports presenters pop up in gambling adverts for their own channel in the ten-times-per-hour breaks in the programs they're actually presenting at that very moment. I'm sure that used to be against some code of conduct or other. It almost makes you miss Andy Gray.

Almost...

Andy Gray and Richard Keys present the football on BEin sports. No gambling adverts on there. Love Richard Keys anti-piracy thing "if you are watching this outside our broadcast zone please don't".

Posted (edited)

...........maybe because all the cash has made its way to  their pockets...............

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

A cruel irony that despite so many rich people the Island itself hasn't got a pot to piss in. 

Except it clearly has, as it is about to spend £50m on the prom, £80m on Douglas harbour, £30m in Liverpool and £140m on a ferry company that only has one and a half old ferries. While everyone pays to poo.

• Like 3

IOM Govt should do online gambling instead of selling TT T shirts and we could all live off the profits.