Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

New micropub opening in Peel shortly.

No spirits, no kids, no technology just space for a dozen people drinking ale in a tiny boozer.

• Like 1

Saw some blurb about this, 6 beers on? Good luck to them

I'd be more likely to go if drinking in Peel didn't require nearly 4 hours on busses.

Ace - get in there!

Just happened to be in Peel this evening.  Welcomed in for a chat and a peek, looking good.  Opening tomorrow, so I may well have to get Mrs X to drop me off.

Ach, it's all small beer... 

• Haha 1

I wish them well, nice to see different options appearing

• Like 1

Peel is a good spot for a night out nowadays now the nutjob population has been diluted a bit by the influx of fresh dna. Did go on the ghost tour there a few years back. The guy that took his job a bit seriously informed us that at one time there was about 130 pubs in peel. Quite staggering

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Peel is a good spot for a night out nowadays now the nutjob population has been diluted a bit by the influx of fresh dna. Did go on the ghost tour there a few years back. The guy that took his job a bit seriously informed us that at one time there was about 130 pubs in peel. Quite staggering

There is a book listing all the pubs over the years, Andreas had 40 or so at one time too.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Does that not cloud your judgement ?:thumbsup:

Edited by dilligaf

I think those 'ghost tours' used to exaggerate things a bit too. Those boys were on to a good thing for a while there. Good luck to the micro-pub though. Just what we need and yet another reason for visiting Peel. I sense the Island picking up again in some ways.

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I think those 'ghost tours' used to exaggerate things a bit too. Those boys were on to a good thing for a while there. Good luck to the micro-pub though. Just what we need and yet another reason for visiting Peel. I sense the Island picking up again in some ways.

I sense the same and from speaking to a few people who share similar thoughts. Which seems to fly in the face of a number of key indicators like a declining population and the downsizing of the finance sector.  

On 5/24/2018 at 11:34 PM, finlo said:

There is a book listing all the pubs over the years, Andreas had 40 or so at one time too.

I've got a copy of that - it's an interesting read

20 hours ago, kevster said:

I've got a copy of that - it's an interesting read

How many were in Douglas at the time ?

400???;-)

At one time up to 1 in 10 houses had licenses to brew & sell beer I believe

....yes, I read somewhere there were 15 brewhouses in Ballaugh alone in the 1800s............

• Like 1