Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Bertie Basset

Steam Packet Ireland

Hope it's not true , but I've heard rumors from a couple of different sources , that Steam Packet is to discontinue the already poorly timed sailings to Belfast and Dublin . Does anyone know if this is fact , or just rumors ? 

Not a clue but as business decision the demand appears not to be there to justify sailing to Ireland. Yes the infrequent sailings don't help but there is no great demand. Flights to Ireland are not exactly heaving.

43 minutes ago, Bertie Basset said:

Hope it's not true , but I've heard rumors from a couple of different sources , that Steam Packet is to discontinue the already poorly timed sailings to Belfast and Dublin . Does anyone know if this is fact , or just rumors ? 

The user agreement stipulates they can’t. Sets a minimum number. However now the Steam Packet and the User Agreement issuer are both IoMG I suppose it could be ripped up.

Would they? 

Nothng would surprise me but as the vast percentage of value in the Steam Packet going forward is the monopoly rights in a user agreement, and given IoMG are examining what to do moving forward, selling all or part, third party investors, outside loans, etc, it might be counterproductive to long term confidence to just change terms.

sending passenger boats to where there are no passengers seems pointless,  just do the route when motorcyclists are likely to be travelling in droves.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

sending passenger boats to where there are no passengers seems pointless,  just do the route when motorcyclists are likely to be travelling in droves.

There will never be passengers if they don't put sailings on at reasonable times and days . E.g. make it you can travel each way for a weekend . No one will travel 1am on a Sunday morning . 

will they miss mass or something?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Bertie Basset said:

There will never be passengers if they don't put sailings on at reasonable times and days . E.g. make it you can travel each way for a weekend . No one will travel 1am on a Sunday morning . 

But there are flights from Dublin every day and twice a day on weekdays and they are not exactly full, which does not indicate there is a huge demand. Do away with the user agreement in respect of Ireland and if the demand is there somebody will step in.

I appreciate the lack of boats must be annoying if you want to take a car etc to Ireland but there just does not seem to be the demand. Even if you travel to Liverpool midweek the majority of the time the boat is not exactly busy and that is a shorter and much moor popular route. 

• Like 1

The flights to Dublin are pretty full most days.

It is not just Manx residents that are impacted. There are 6m potential tourists in Ireland and EU trade.

Send a ferry at a convenient time but at less frequency.

Is that completely leftfield idea possible?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Not a clue but as business decision the demand appears not to be there to justify sailing to Ireland. Yes the infrequent sailings don't help but there is no great demand. Flights to Ireland are not exactly heaving.

Flights to Belfast are doing pretty well. The last couple of times I've used Cunny Lingus to DUB it's been full.

Posted (edited)

I know of several people who say it is cheaper to book Easyjet via Manchester to Belfast than use the IoM service? 

Maybe the SPCo could do a tie up with a ferry operating from Heysham or Liverpool to offer special combined fares for those who need to get to Ireland? It may be cheaper than putting on a ferry but a bit of a long drag.  

Edited by Max Power

2 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Send a ferry at a convenient time but at less frequency.

Is that completely leftfield idea possible?

At 2 sailings a week, less frequency would be difficult, and that reduces to one next month.

Whatever economic ties the Island had with NI must dwindling as we type thanks to the excruciating transport links we have.  I know of NI businesses that have shut-up-shop here and commuters who have taken themselves, and their money, elsewhere.

Ferry (Fastcraft) - 3 hours.

Air via Manchester - 4 hours

Air via Dublin - 5 hours

Yes, there is the Friday and Monday easyjet service but that's of no use to the business community.

Isle of Man - 'Freedom to Flourish' - if the Parish Council gave any thought as to how to achieve that.

If I was deciding I would wait until the Brexit positìon is know. If there is a no deal type crash then opportunities may be opened up with Southern Ireland. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NoTail said:

If I was deciding I would wait until the Brexit positìon is know. If there is a no deal type crash then opportunities may be opened up with Southern Ireland. 

Can you think of any potential examples of opportunities which the IOM might be able to exploit in this context? Vs say Liverpool or any of the other UK ports. What advantages could the IOM offer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

At 2 sailings a week, less frequency would be difficult, and that reduces to one next month.

Whatever economic ties the Island had with NI must dwindling as we type thanks to the excruciating transport links we have.  I know of NI businesses that have shut-up-shop here and commuters who have taken themselves, and their money, elsewhere.

Ferry (Fastcraft) - 3 hours.

Air via Manchester - 4 hours

Air via Dublin - 5 hours

Yes, there is the Friday and Monday easyjet service but that's of no use to the business community.

Isle of Man - 'Freedom to Flourish' - if the Parish Council gave any thought as to how to achieve that.

Are/were there any significant economic ties with NI anyway? Not being pedantic but is it a route we should be bending over backwards for anyway if the demand isn't there. Closer ties with the 65 million people the other way would seem to be make more sense.