Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Bertie Basset

Steam Packet Ireland

If there are no boats to Liverpool due to the lack of a berth, and no boats to Ireland, then they could do away with the fast craft altogether. 

5 hours ago, JulianB said:

If there are no boats to Liverpool due to the lack of a berth, and no boats to Ireland, then they could do away with the fast craft altogether. 

There will always be boats to Liverpool, even if Primark have to buy their own

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Send a ferry at a convenient time but at less frequency.

Is that completely leftfield idea possible?

the only time they are busy is around the races.....

Edited by woody2

39 minutes ago, woody2 said:

the only time they are busy is around the races.....

I’ve never been on a sailing to or from Ireland that wasn’t busy

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I’ve never been on a sailing to or from Ireland that wasn’t busy

Same here Dilli, and the flights have always been full too? The poor service caused me to miss two family funerals too, they don't even let them get cold over there before they are buried mind you!

On 8/9/2018 at 7:54 AM, Bertie Basset said:

There will never be passengers if they don't put sailings on at reasonable times and days . E.g. make it you can travel each way for a weekend . No one will travel 1am on a Sunday morning . 

Absolutely this.

I used to use it regularly but the days into Dublin now are just useless.

The weekend boats ie friday morning and Sunday night were always packed - even more so when they did a bank holiday Monday return

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

There will always be boats to Liverpool, even if Primark have to buy their own

Them winter fuel allowances won't spend themselves... :whistling:

• Like 1

If the Ireland boats were at decent times and if they were on set days then you might find more people will use them.

I've been on the Irish boat in the past with just a handful of others, even in peak period.

Plus cost is as always a factor

Population of North West England = just over 7 million

Population of the island of Ireland a tad over 6.5 million

Those are our nearest markets.

I'm sitting in Belfast airport wsiting for the Eze flight to Mann. We have been here since Monday. When asked where we are from most people say, oh we'd love to go to IOM but we don't see/hear much about It!

And if the rumour is true about cutting the links to Belfast & Dublin then why do we bother with a tourism dept and pay over the odds for a fery company where it's sole remit is going to pay dividend to support an already bloated executive government?

Bonkers mad!

• Like 2

I work in Belfast for much of the year. 

There is widespread 'ignorance', and I use that word not in a pejorative sense, in NI about the new easyjet service to the Island.  When I mention the easyjet service to my colleagues the response is 'oh, I didn't know about that'. Incredibly the same is true for the ferry service and as for the previous Citywing service, it was possibly the best kept secret ever because very few, even colleagues who are in the airline industry, didn't know it (had) existed!

So if people in the airline industry never knew about the air links to the Island, what chance for the general population on Northern Ireland and encouraging them to come to the Island for a holiday break?  I believe friends and relatives at either end of the route have cottoned on quickly and have welcomed the affordability of getting home, be it in NI or the Island, to see family on a more regular basis now that fares don't require a mortgage to afford as was the case under Eastern.  But as for the rest of th epopulation, I've seen NO advertising over here promoting visits to the Island.  As the previous poster asks,  just what is the Tourist Department doing with its budget?  And I concur with his observation, again gleaned from friends and colleagues in NI, that so many of them 'would love to visit the Island'.

As for getting to and from NI on a regular basis, it has become a very long and expensive exercise for what is one of the shortest air routes in the UK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

One of the issued with Ireland is that the route cannot be cross subsidised by freight. Because very little freight goes on that route.

Where as the issue re the UK is that freight could probably be better prioritised and the costs (of freight) reduced by charging more for cars.

Mostly it's easier to fly and rent a car or get the train . 

Edited by pongo

1 hour ago, Paul Kiver said:

I work in Belfast for much of the year. 

There is widespread 'ignorance', and I use that word not in a pejorative sense, in NI about the new easyjet service to the Island.  When I mention the easyjet service to my colleagues the response is 'oh, I didn't know about that'. Incredibly the same is true for the ferry service and as for the previous Citywing service, it was possibly the best kept secret ever because very few, even colleagues who are in the airline industry, didn't know it (had) existed!

So if people in the airline industry never knew about the air links to the Island, what chance for the general population on Northern Ireland and encouraging them to come to the Island for a holiday break?  I believe friends and relatives at either end of the route have cottoned on quickly and have welcomed the affordability of getting home, be it in NI or the Island, to see family on a more regular basis now that fares don't require a mortgage to afford as was the case under Eastern.  But as for the rest of th epopulation, I've seen NO advertising over here promoting visits to the Island.  As the previous poster asks,  just what is the Tourist Department doing with its budget?  And I concur with his observation, again gleaned from friends and colleagues in NI, that so many of them 'would love to visit the Island'.

As for getting to and from NI on a regular basis, it has become a very long and expensive exercise for what is one of the shortest air routes in the UK.

Exactly the point I made above. A whole market has been virtually ignored for the last 20 years; almost a generation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

One of the issued with Ireland is that the route cannot be cross subsidised by freight. Because very little freight goes on that route.

Where as the issue re the UK is that freight could probably be better prioritised and the costs (of freight) reduced by charging more for cars.

Mostly it's easier to fly and rent a car or get the train . 

Next to no freight goes to or from Liverpool either, so that is no excuse.