Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Farmers in drought 'crisis'?

I'm not anti farmer and support Manx agriculture but having been to the South of England and seen the effects of the recent hot weather there, there is no comparison whatsoever to the condition of the island's countryside?

Is this a chance for a three year handout?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=42213&headline=In the Manx Independent: Drought leads to crisis for farmers&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2018

if only all that countryside care scheme money had been saved for buying in food and bedding for livestock during a bad year.    if only animals could live off  holiday cottages and range rovers there'd be no problem feeding them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Just another wheeze to put taxpayers money into farmers pockets, there will be more of this I am sure.;)

• Like 8

The problem is that no matter how much money you have there will be no straw and hay available to buy so there will be less stock able to be kept

I only make haylage for the horses and my yeild was a third of what I would get any other year.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, JessTickle said:

The problem is that no matter how much money you have there will be no straw and hay available to buy so there will be less stock able to be kept

I only make haylage for the horses and my yeild was a third of what I would get any other year.

so if there is nothing available to buy what are the farmers being given money to buy ?   maybe they will spend it settling their isle of man farmers debts??

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JessTickle said:

Less stock to send away for more profitable slaughter then? Less of the 5% of local produce that makes up our supermarket offerings? Extinction Level Event.

I'm with WTF here. If previous years "Gawney Cheques" and grant monies had been invested in such as irrigation (easily coming under Care of the Countryside) rather than being blown on new cars/4wds, holiday accommodation to make more money and foreign holidays, such as some I KNOW OF, then they wouldn't be crying for more now.

Tynwald already voted more for them at the last sitting. It's too easy and there's been too many Gawnes in there for them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JessTickle said:

..............but maybe some of the grant money could have been spent on an irrigation system for very hot summers?...............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WTF said:

so if there is nothing available to buy what are the farmers being given money to buy ?   maybe they will spend it settling their isle of man farmers debts??

Hard feed that is available will cost more due to reduced crop yeild. Stock will decrease next year as breeding will be reduced if there is nothing to feed.

Remember it will be a year from now before crops become available.  

It's not a money making exercise there will be real issues

Not every farmer is in the same position as HQ some do struggle and that's a fact 

Edited by JessTickle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

Is this a chance for a three year handout?

It's more like a reach around.

24 minutes ago, JessTickle said:

Hard feed that is available will cost more due to reduced crop yeild. Stock will decrease next year as breeding will be reduced if there is nothing to feed.

Not every farmer is in the same position as HQ some do struggle and that's a fact 

But farming and receiving hand outs is not a god given right

If you can’t do it properly and make it pay, give it up

Far too many small farms here anyway

I am also aware of the amount of money given to some farmers and it is mental 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But farming and receiving hand outs is not a god given right

If you can’t do it properly and make it pay, give it up

Far too many small farms here anyway

I am also aware of the amount of money given to some farmers and it is mental 

Have you seen the price of the latest Rangey!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Have you seen the price of the latest Rangey!

And the £100,000 combine to harvest 20 acres?

2 hours ago, JessTickle said:

some do struggle,  the ones with less land get less money,  it is keep the big boys big and the small boys small.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JessTickle said:

They're not paid per head of stock any more. They're paid per acre under the CCS. Regardless of what they produce.

And let's not forget that some if these claimants may not even be "farmers" per se. They're just landowners lucky enough to have their noses in the Govt's trough, to whom it's yet another opportunity to take a good gobful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

eThey're not paid per head of stock any more. They're paid per acre under the CCS. Regardless of what they produce.

And let's not forget that some if these claimants may not even be "farmers" per se. They're just landowners lucky enough to have their noses in the Govt's trough, to whom it's yet another opportunity to take a good gobful.

and who works out the acreage and what quality of land is being claimed as arable ?

I could fill this page with question marks.

The greedy robbing bastards know who they are and more of us are finding out who they are too. Leeches :angry:

• Like 3