Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Strangeways Riot 1990

Interesting programme on the riots at Strangeways. The governor at the time was Brendan O'Friel, now chairman of the IoM Road Transport Licensing Committee. He was unfortunate as his arrival seemed to coincide with many things coming to a head at the prison. He seemed to be a reforming influence.

missed it but i remember driving past at the time.....

always thought it was a micky take having a brewery next to a prison......

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

Interesting programme on the riots at Strangeways. The governor at the time was Brendan O'Friel, now chairman of the IoM Road Transport Licensing Committee. 

There'll be another feckin riot if they put car tax up again.

Was Barrie there in some capacity by any chance...? *awaits next story of coincidental involvement*

He's also the Isle of Man Surveillance Commissioner.

Another in the long line of failed UK public servants who found sinecure here.

2 hours ago, manxst said:

Was Barrie there in some capacity by any chance...? *awaits next story of coincidental involvement*

He claims he visited regularly when he was at Salford tech studying public loo cleaning. I think he claimed it was every day for 3 months, as his landlord ended up inside. Said Landlord was involved in the riots. I kid you not. He’s posted this stuff previously

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, piebaps said:

He's also the Isle of Man Surveillance Commissioner.

Another in the long line of failed UK public servants who found sinecure here.

He’s manx born, sent off to posh public school ( Stonyhurst ). Always maintained a house here and then retired here.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

He claims he visited regularly when he was at Salford tech studying public loo cleaning. I think he claimed it was every day for 3 months, as his landlord ended up inside. Said Landlord was involved in the riots. I kid you not. He’s posted this stuff previously

JW! Aye 'tis true an 'all!

Yes, I was on a course at Salford Tech (Now probably the Royal Salford Uni or some such) in 1987..We needed a project and I wrote to the Guv of Strangeways (HMP Manchester|)..

Naturally Brendan O' Friel explained that they were run off their feet.

In 1990 my landlord was in there for child molesting and I out of interest went in to see him and get the low down on the place. Interesting!!!

I enjoyed the subsequent trial also!

Such fun!

Salford Tech did do an industrial cleaning certificate...I was on a "Meeja Studies" course doing radio plays, vids and vox pop for the Beeb.

It was obvious in 1987 that Strangeways would or could explode.

Now I am close to HMP Chelmsford and may I take this opportunity to predict that this prison will be the next to explode.. And of course an outgoing Guv was heavily criticised in this context and thus it stands to reason she became the Guv of IOM Prison Jurby! (Now moved on/retired).

The local "Screws" here at HMP Chelmsford tell me tales of impending trouble as I live the throw of a stone from the main gates (Down on my manor)

As regards loo cleaning diplomas. I have found the experience of great value when dealing with the foul sewers comprising Manx Advocates, the IOM Law Society and the so called IOM High Courts of Justice.

No names. No pack drill. But JW knows full well to whom I refer.