Knoxville

Mf Spotting...

2,709 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I still believe that there is no benefit to be had from publically flagging up that there are empty shops in the town. The only reason I would see to do that is if I thought it would change that situation and increase the chance of these shops being occupied but at present I can't see that connection and feel there are more constructive ways of communicating with the people involved.

I appreciate your defending of the Commissioners Rhumsaa but if the truth is that there are a lot of shops that are empty you can't stop people telling the truth surely? It seems to me that non-believer believes what he said is right and has given a pretty detailed list of the shops that do appear to be empty. People can't just pretend that the reality of a situation does not exist. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I appreciate your defending of the Commissioners Rhumsaa but if the truth is that there are a lot of shops that are empty you can't stop people telling the truth surely? It seems to me that non-believer believes what he said is right and has given a pretty detailed list of the shops that do appear to be empty. People can't just pretend that the reality of a situation does not exist. 

I think we're coming at mixed purposes here. Perhaps I have misunderstood Non-Believer.

I am not saying at all that people shouldn't acknowledge the empty shops. In fact I replied to his post detailing the empty shops by saying "you're not wrong". I personally see no advantage to me saying that there are empty shops. I'd rather look at the positives. And the discussion has gone on from there.

It's a bit hard to have a conversation and then 3 replies in have my response viewed from a different angle. It's got to be viewed in context.

Bring back bloat quotes I say.

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I think we're coming at mixed purposes here. Perhaps I have misunderstood Non-Believer.

I am not saying at all that people shouldn't acknowledge the empty shops. In fact I replied to his post detailing the empty shops by saying "you're not wrong". I personally see no advantage to me saying that there are empty shops. I'd rather look at the positives. And the discussion has gone on from there.

It's a bit hard to have a conversation and then 3 replies in have my response viewed from a different angle. It's got to be viewed in context.

Bring back bloat quotes I say.

Yeah I agree the bloat quoting was easier to follow. I get you now. No there's no advantage to you in saying so. Think sometimes though that people need to look at the reality of the situation not what they want to see as the biggest problem Douglas has had in the last 20 years is the rose tinted glasses of the DDP who have totally failed to deal with some of the issues that have been strangling Douglas as a town as, according to them, everything is brilliant all the time and there's not a problem with a lack of shops, high rents, and the general state of the town (when clearly there is).

Edited by thesultanofsheight
1 person likes this

Clarification time. I intended no criticism of the Commissioners, Rhumsaa, the new Board I'm sure are being as proactive in the various matters as they can be.

As a Ramsey resident however, I'm well aware that there are more than "a couple of empty shops" in the town. For that to be posted by a Commissioner is at best inaccurate, at worst misleading? Though I'm sure not intentional.

It took me about 30 minutes to compile the list, to include buying my newspaper and it may not even be exhaustive but I felt rightly or wrongly that a correction was needed and it needed to be factual. There was no intention of being negative, I'm sure Ramsey traders are doing the best they can in often challenging circumstances - but we have to be objective and look at the cons as well as the pros?

There are plenty, pan-Island who are happy to accept credit for the latter whilst conveniently ignoring the former and leaving others to pick up the pieces and clear up the mess?

1 person likes this

I'm not taking any of this as criticism - I'm enjoying the reasoned discussion.

I completely agree that there are people who want to bury their head in the sand and pretend there are not negative aspects. I try not to be one of those people. I know that we are in contact with landlords and traders.

The difficult balance I think is offering encouragement to new business whilst not disadvantaging long standing business in the town.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from here but I do appreciate your eloquent and well thought out discussion.

I understand what you've said but I don't think the examples you're using are fair comparisons and I still believe that there is no benefit to be had from publically flagging up that there are empty shops in the town. The only reason I would see to do that is if I thought it would change that situation and increase the chance of these shops being occupied but at present I can't see that connection and feel there are more constructive ways of communicating with the people involved.

Also I think that we can (and should) praise the shops we have got and the improvements that have been made. I don't believe it's an either/or situation where we can only speak publically of the good things as long as we talk about the negatives too. It's not pretending they don't exist.

.........I would add to that and say that , 'moving forward', is not always a good thing. Sometimes it is but there is a good case for retaining a lot of the old and proven and not just washing over it in the quest for, 'new'...............a bit like growth just for the sake of it, sustainable should be the mantra IMO..........

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.........I would add to that and say that , 'moving forward', is not always a good thing. Sometimes it is but there is a good case for retaining a lot of the old and proven and not just washing over it in the quest for, 'new'...............a bit like growth just for the sake of it, sustainable should be the mantra IMO..........

Ideally you want the empty shops to be filled with business that is not currently available in the town - diversity and choice.

1 person likes this

It could be worse, you could be a Castletown commissioner. They've got their heads buried so deep its unlikely they'll ever surface!

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It could be worse, you could be a Castletown commissioner. They've got their heads buried so deep its unlikely they'll ever surface!

I respect Jimmy Cubbon's short wearing antics though

1 person likes this