Who Is The Most Famous Person To Reside On The Isle Of Man?

spermann

Most famous in my book - Fletcher Christian (Mutiny on the Bounty). Apparently, he was married at Onchan church with Captain Bligh as his best man.

Nope, you got that wrong....

Bligh married Elizabeth Betham, the daughter of a Customs Collector, on 4 February 1781, at the age of 26. The wedding took place at Onchan, on the Isle of Man (coincidentally Fletcher Christian was descended from a Manx family).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Bligh

Cheers for that - I actually posted that last year sometime. Clearly those brain cells must have died.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a fine liust here

I didn't realise most of these lived on the island

Famous residents of the Isle of Man

Born or raised on the island

The Bee Gees were all born on the island. Maurice Gibb returned for a spell during the 1970s, as did Barry Gibb where he wrote the music for the film Saturday Night Fever. Robin Gibb and his wife bought property in the west of the island in January 2007.

T.E. Brown, poet, scholar and theologian was born and lived much of his life on the island apart from his education at Oxford University and the more than thirty years he spent as a schoolmaster in England.

Robert Henry Cain was an Oil Company Executive who was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry during "Operation Market Garden" in September 1944. He was the father of Frances Catherine Cain, wife of Jeremy Clarkson (see below).

Mark Cavendish, sprint cyclist, winner of the semi-classic the Grote Scheldeprijs.

Fletcher Christian, leader of the Mutiny on the Bounty, lived in Douglas and attended St Bees School. His father, John Christian, was descended from a long line of Manx gentry. His great-great grandfather Illiam Dhone,[1][2] led an uprising against English rule over the island and was executed in 1663.

Christine Collister, British folk and jazz singer.

Sir Charles Kerruish OBE LLD CP MLC, longest serving Commonwealth Speaker ever as Speaker of the House of Keys from 1962 to 1990. Also first ever President of Tynwald and non gubernatorial Head of the Legislature and first ever Chairman of the Executive Council - again the first ever non gubernatorial Head of the Executive.

Nigel and Bryan Kneale, brothers who were raised on the island and achieved fame as a screenwriter and sculptor respectively.

Alex Lloyd, racing driver and winner of the 2003 McLaren Autosport BRDC Award, is from the island.

Moved to the island

Jeremy Clarkson, journalist and broadcaster, bought a lighthouse home in the south-east of the island (Langness) which he shares with his Manx-born wife Francie and their children.

Alan Warner, novelist and screenwriter, moved to the Isle of Man from the UK in 1989, and lives a modest and semi-reclusive lifestyle at his lighthouse home in the north of the Island.

George MacDonald Fraser, the journalist, author, and screenwriter lives on the island. The title of his 2002 memoirs, Light's on at Signpost, is a reference to the Isle of Man TT races.

Florrie Forde (1876 – 1940), known as "The Queen of Music Hall" performed at the Derby Castle ballroom stage from 1900 to 1937 (excluding the war years) and had a bungalow at Niarbyl Bay on the west coast of the island where she spent her Sundays relaxing.

Neil Hodgson, the 2003 Superbike and World Superbike Champion lives in Ramsey on the Isle of Man.

James Toseland, 2004 World Superbike winner has a home in Ramsey

Justin Jackson is a professional footballer, who has played for numerous English league and non-league clubs including Bolton Wanderers, Halifax Town, Rushden & Diamonds, Doncaster Rovers and Morecambe.

Andy Kershaw, the BBC Radio presenter has a home in Peel on the Island.

Charlotte Lamb, prolific and bestselling romantic novelist (1937 – 2000), best-known for writing over 150 Mills & Boon novels, lived on the island from 1977 until her death in October 2000.

Nigel Mansell, the British racing driver lived in Port Erin on the Isle of Man for many years, and was a Special Constable there throughout his Formula One career. After retirement from Formula One, he moved to Florida in the USA where he continued with a brief but successful career in Indy Car Racing. Mansell moved back to the UK soon after to buy a golf club in Devon. Although still based primarily in Devon, he has since bought another home on the Isle of Man.

Bill Naughton, novelist and screenwriter lived for many years in Bolton before moving to the Isle of Man with his wife Erna in the late 1950s.

John Rhys-Davies is a Welsh actor and has lived on the island for a number of years. He is best known for his acting roles in Indiana Jones as Sallah, in Sliders as Professor Arturo and in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy as Gimli.

Ronnie Ronalde, Music Hall performer famous for his singing, whistling, yodelling and imitations of bird song lived for a number of years on the island with most of his immediate family.

Mollie Sugden, an actress known mainly for her role as Mrs. Slocombe on the British comedy Are You Being Served? has a home on the north-west coast of the island.

Rick Wakeman, Ex-keyboard player in rock bands Yes and Black Sabbath, lived on the Island for a number of years, and still owns property there.

Adam Wakeman, Musician and son of Rick Wakeman (see above). Adam began his musical career playing keyboards with his father Rick, before venturing out on a minor solo career. He followed this up as a session musician and back up band member, working with such artists as Atomic Kitten, Victoria Beckham and Annie Lennox. From there he became a full time member of Ozzy Osborne's backing band, and is now the keyboard player with Black Sabbath. A familial "full circle" given that his father was the keyboard player for the same band back in the 1970's.

David M. Wilson, former director of the British Museum currently lives in the Isle of Man.

Sir Norman Wisdom, comedian and actor, is a long-term resident of the island.

David Icke, a British writer and public speaker who has devoted himself since 1990 to researching "who and what is really controlling the world."

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_residents_of_the_Isle_of_Man"

And, of course Lillian Beckwith, author of many books about life on the Scottish isles who moved here in 1962.

And don't forget Norman Bucklethwaite - I don't know who he is either.

I would also nominate Nigel Kneale (Quatermass author). He had a lot of TV links - if you catch my drift.

Never realised David Icke ever lived here. Have our lizard overlords been keeping it quiet?

*dons purple shellsuit and tin foil hat*

Lol, he seems to like living on small Islands, he was living on the Isle of Wight a few years ago, bet the Channel Islands are holding their breath.......

Anyway my nomination is every single name on every war memorial on the IOM. They may not be household names but they stood up when the time came and they paid the price.

True heroes every single one as far as I'm concerned and hopefully they'll still be remembered when the current bunch of self important f***wits runnng this show are dust and forgotten.

Anyway my nomination is every single name on every war memorial on the IOM. They may not be household names but they stood up when the time came and they paid the price.

True heroes every single one as far as I'm concerned and hopefully they'll still be remembered when the current bunch of self important f***wits runnng this show are dust and forgotten.

Well said that man. That's the winner for me.

George McDonald Fraser - author of Flashman novels has lived here for decades.

Pam Ayres and Richard Adams lived here for a short while as indeed did Special Constable Nigel Mansell.

Geoff Duke was very famous at one time and has lived here most of his life.

The present Bishop of Sodor and Man, Rt. Rev.Graeme Knowles, is likely to become famous as Dean of St. Paul's.

Moved to the islandJustin Jackson is a professional footballer, who has played for numerous English league and non-league clubs including Bolton Wanderers, Halifax Town, Rushden & Diamonds, Doncaster Rovers and Morecambe.

If he wasn't born here, he was at least raised here. I played football for the Island with him when we were kids.

DAVID ICKE lives here???? :)

wicked!!

I went to watch him give a speech at Nottingham Uni a number of years ago. Brilliant!

Turquoise.....

Never see him about tho? is he on here I wonder monitoring our very souls..... :)

We don't really "get" celebs over here, if one of them slags us off, the Chief Minister will invite them to visit, give them a guided tour, so they can say it all again. If it is an actor we pay them a substantial sum to appear over here in a film no one will ever watch.

But if they say that they like it here and that it is a wonderful place, we break into their propertys and shout obscenities (Robin Gibb); traipse across their land and organise a campaign against them when they try to stop us (Clarkeson); bang them up (Kershaw) or shove them in a home (Norman Wisdom).

Archived