Tv Licence Inspector On The Iom

MilitantDogOwner

It was an obligation stemming from outside off-Island pressure. This is why it was at that time seen as a potential thin end of the wedge. How academic remains to be seen.

Thin end of the wedge? Total red herring. We pay for a service that comes from off Island just like we pay for everything else that com es from off Island. There are far more pertinent examples of taxes that stem from "outside" pressure such as fuel duty and VAT, the levels of which IOM has no control over whatsoever. We see via exchange of information and FATCA etc. that the agenda is totally driven from outside. We do as we are told or else.

If that is the case we have to do as we are told, why do we have 24 MHKs, and 9 unelected MLCs sitting on seats collecting £1000s in salaries and pensions, and waxing lyrical about how independent we are from the UK, it must be the biggest con in history, putting some of the so called con jobs in the world on a small potatoes list.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Water under the bridge? I merely raised the question of the TV fee being a tax.....What's next? Well, years ago the Collector of Taxes (UK) would try and enforce tax debt judgements on the Island and last I heard the Deemsters (Long ago!) would hand down a judgement saying that when all OECD members allow cross border tax collection then the Island would follow suit....Well, the Island has complied with a lot of OECD stuff since then. I have always thought it odd that the UK tolerates Crown appointed Deemsters not allowing the HMRC as of now to execute debt judgements for tax like any other debt under the reciprocal arrangements. The Island is British after all. I have a dream that one day the UK tax man will bring a judgement to the IOM High Court for reciprocal execution and we will see the Coroner seize and auction some hapless person's property in order to meet a UK tax obligation...Of course I am mostly out of touch these days but such is the way these things work...First one step...then the next.....

There shouldn't even be a TV license, just have pay preview for everything and then everyone pays for what they watch, that way, if watching paint dry was popular then it would get the money.

Then you'd only get "safe" programming made, they wouldn't take risks on new talent or programmes that take a while to build an audience. You'd lose the bredth of programming. And trailers for other bbc programmes would become more intrusive.

Even Sky doesn't work that way you pay for a bundle of channels rather than on a show by show basis. Netflix and Lovefilm are beginning to make shows, but again this is to draw you into their subscription service.

The BBC might work if it bundled say the main 4 tv stations together, a national radio bundle, a kids bundle, a news bundle etc. Can't help thinking we'd end up paying more for less on that model.

Water under the bridge? I merely raised the question of the TV fee being a tax.....What's next? Well, years ago the Collector of Taxes (UK) would try and enforce tax debt judgements on the Island and last I heard the Deemsters (Long ago!) would hand down a judgement saying that when all OECD members allow cross border tax collection then the Island would follow suit....Well, the Island has complied with a lot of OECD stuff since then. I have always thought it odd that the UK tolerates Crown appointed Deemsters not allowing the HMRC as of now to execute debt judgements for tax like any other debt under the reciprocal arrangements. The Island is British after all. I have a dream that one day the UK tax man will bring a judgement to the IOM High Court for reciprocal execution and we will see the Coroner seize and auction some hapless person's property in order to meet a UK tax obligation...Of course I am mostly out of touch these days but such is the way these things work...First one step...then the next.....

Of course it was odd. But it suited the people who own the UK (I don't mean the Government or the Monarch by the way) because it allowed all kinds of jolly japes. It was custom and practice but I think you will find that tax debt judgements would be received much more benevolently now than hitherto.

There shouldn't even be a TV license, just have pay preview for everything and then everyone pays for what they watch, that way, if watching paint dry was popular then it would get the money.

Then you'd only get "safe" programming made, they wouldn't take risks on new talent or programmes that take a while to build an audience. You'd lose the bredth of programming. And trailers for other bbc programmes would become more intrusive.

Even Sky doesn't work that way you pay for a bundle of channels rather than on a show by show basis. Netflix and Lovefilm are beginning to make shows, but again this is to draw you into their subscription service.

The BBC might work if it bundled say the main 4 tv stations together, a national radio bundle, a kids bundle, a news bundle etc. Can't help thinking we'd end up paying more for less on that model.

I disagree, TV producers/makers would know target audiences and make programmes for them using formulae that work but can be tweeted continuously to effectively renew itself.

Just look at the internet, TV is changing, people choose what they want to watch, sure there will probably always will be bundles as such to tie people in but at least your not going to be paying for a massive amount of crap. With regard to advertising, just watch on demand and fast forward through them.

For a TV 'corporation' to be allowed to tax us is incredible, I say put adverts on BBC, I will just get up and make a brew, go to the toilet, fast forward through them, whatever.....do away with the tax then I won't have to pay for shite like soap operas, Striclty come dancing, snooker, golf, the news (and I use the term loosely), downton abbey etc., etc.

It was an obligation stemming from outside off-Island pressure. This is why it was at that time seen as a potential thin end of the wedge. How academic remains to be seen.

Thin end of the wedge? Total red herring. We pay for a service that comes from off Island just like we pay for everything else that com es from off Island. There are far more pertinent examples of taxes that stem from "outside" pressure such as fuel duty and VAT, the levels of which IOM has no control over whatsoever. We see via exchange of information and FATCA etc. that the agenda is totally driven from outside. We do as we are told or else.

If that is the case we have to do as we are told, why do we have 24 MHKs, and 9 unelected MLCs sitting on seats collecting £1000s in salaries and pensions, and waxing lyrical about how independent we are from the UK, it must be the biggest con in history, putting some of the so called con jobs in the world on a small potatoes list.

I guess the simple answer is because the Manx taxpayers are gullible enough to unquestioningly go along with this little charade.

Perhaps they'll see the light sometime in the near future.....There again maybe not.

You can't just say "look at the internet" and expect that to support your argument. The Internet is moving towards the subscription model not an only pay for the shows you want model.

At the moment we get all the bbc has to offer for about £12 a month. Netflix offers a fraction of that for a fiver, but that has maybe one new series a month. Add a couple of films on iTunes and you're up near there. Meanwhile what we'll be left with is the stuff you list - the populist or the cheap.

You only have to look at ITV to see where adverts lead. Or listen to national commercial radio stations compare that to Radio 4 or 6 music.

Move away from the bbc model and we'll pay more and get less.

Well said Declan, I might not like the BBCs politics, these days but for 12 quid a month it is a bargain.

I have just had to pay a little more than that to get BT Sport because I want to see all of the Moto GP and the other Premier games; when you think of it like that it is positively cheap in comparison.

Well said Declan, I might not like the BBCs politics, these days but for 12 quid a month it is a bargain.

I have just had to pay a little more than that to get BT Sport because I want to see all of the Moto GP and the other Premier games; when you think of it like that it is positively cheap in comparison.

Yes that is true. Likewise, I hate their editorial stance. I am surprised though by the number of people I hear saying they "had" to pay more to get BT Sport. I thought it would lead to people just dumping Sky altogether rather than paying more because two competing bidders are upping the football rights ante. When I saw what BT had paid for those rights I thought they'd never make the sums add up. Maybe I was wrong.

We've had a TV for six months and, decided to set up the direct debit thing for the licence as, to be honest, couldn't cope with all the red letters coming through the door. We've decided now that the TV just isn't for us so it's going in the New Year. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the telephone calls to the licence people to tell them we want to cancel.

Anyone care to wager a bet about how long it's going to take to get it sorted"

If my experiences 'across' are anything to go by they will continue to pester you , and contacting them is a complete waste of time.

We've had a TV for six months and, decided to set up the direct debit thing for the licence as, to be honest, couldn't cope with all the red letters coming through the door. We've decided now that the TV just isn't for us so it's going in the New Year. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the telephone calls to the licence people to tell them we want to cancel.

Anyone care to wager a bet about how long it's going to take to get it sorted"

If my experiences 'across' are anything to go by they will continue to pester you , and contacting them is a complete waste of time.

Yep, probably best to just cancel the DD at your bank and wait for the licence people to contact you, and they will. If you're really not using your telly, you have nothing to worry about. Tell them to take a running leap.

Roxanne, I was pestered by them for 18 months including evening phone calls and threats of court etc. Every time I explained the situation and they agreed that did not need a license for that property anymore, I would still get more letters and more phone calls.

I finally sorted it by following the instructions on their website, search the complaints section and you have to start a message with the words "Official Complaint" - it is set up to make it hard to complain TBH but that is another story.

Having done this and explained again in the Form, what the problem was I got a nice reply and fingers crossed no more phone calls or letters.

Archived