Openstreetmap Mapping Party

Owen

Hey everyone,

Just read on Dan Karran's blog that he's coming over to the Isle of Man to organise a mapping party with OpenStreetMap. It basically involves running around with a GPS unit capturing detail on street names, landmarks etc. More details: http://www.dankarran.com/blog/archives/200...pping_party.php

Anyone interested in joining in ?

--------------------

Tech Blog - Personal Blog - Hobby Blog - ManxFriends Profile

Got a Manx website: Submit it on SearchMann

There seem to be a lot of errors on the map, not just in the IoM but other places as well.

One of the great things about the OpenStreetMap project is that if anybody sees errors on the map then they can actually fix them up, much like people do on Wikipedia. There are almost certainly errors in the Isle of Man data but part of the idea of this mapping day on the 1st September is to try and iron out some of those problems.

The more people interested in the project, the more accurate the map data (and the maps we can build from that) will become, so all help would be much appreciated.

Another great thing is that anybody is free to use that map data afterwards, with very few restrictions (Creative Commons Attribution and ShareAlike license). No more being limited to 1:50k maps, the data we're building up here can be used at any scale, as long as we have the data in place.

Ever been annoyed with Google for not having anything other than Douglas pinpointed on their map, with TomTom for not having maps of the Island, or with the gov.im site for only providing street maps of the bigger towns on the Island? OpenStreetMap will increasingly be able to give more people better access to maps of the places around them... and anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Looking forward to meeting anyone that's interested in the idea of giving local people better access to maps...

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit grumpy today, or maybe I'm missing the point...

But this does look like a bunch of self appointed nosey-parkers taking it upon themselves to snoop around the Island under the pretext of "mapmaking". Of course there maybe a perfect valid reason, but I can't see it.

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit grumpy today, or maybe I'm missing the point...

But this does look like a bunch of self appointed nosey-parkers taking it upon themselves to snoop around the Island under the pretext of "mapmaking". Of course there maybe a perfect valid reason, but I can't see it.

What else could they be up to ?

Spetznaz? Freemasons? Dandara ?

Archived