Martin Clunes

Maxmann

Martin Clunes is about to do a programme on TV called Islands, the programme had a write up in Saturdays Daily Express supplement, but he states he will never return to the Isle of Man, in his words the Island is full of smug people avoiding paying the UK rate of tax, which he adds the Island is little more than a tax haven, which is subsidised by the UK taxpayers,and he would never be likely to return

So it looks like, all Alan Bells hard work, to get us a good name is to no avail

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Martin Clunes is about to do a programme on TV called Islands, the programme had a write up in Saturdays Daily Express supplement, but he states he will never return to the Isle of Man, in his words the Island is full of smug people avoiding paying the UK rate of tax, which he adds the Island is little more than a tax haven, which is subsidised by the UK taxpayers,and he would never be likely to return

So it looks like, all Alan Bells hard work, to get us a good name is to no avail

Possibly taken out of context. Another interview he said he really liked the Island but the locals seem keen to point out that they pay a lower tax rate. Would be interested to see who his 'locals' are...

Has anyone seen the supplement in the Sunday Mirror today?

At the end it tells readers how to get to the Isle of Man. It tells you where the Steam Packet sail from, and then mentions the prices "return crossings from £6 for foot and, £12 with a car"

Did I miss their big price drop?

Either

The printers had run out of '0's

Or

They read the copy, thought the actual price was a mistake and knocked some '0's off.

.... the Island is full of smug people....

I have to say this just about sums the Isle of Man up these days.

There is one hell of a lot of people making oodles of money, particularly our 'senior' Civil Servants and Tax Payer funded employees.

With a pension to die for.

. . . . where does all this money come from to allow such a huge percent of our population to be paid way, way above their worth and ability?

Reading all the many glossy magazines that abound and all the newspapers, the Isle of Man has indeed become an Island of Smug Boasters.

Clunes has gone up in my estimation.

At the end it tells readers how to get to the Isle of Man. It tells you where the Steam Packet sail from, and then mentions the prices "return crossings from £6 for foot and, £12 with a car"

I think I'll reserve some places now, having checked their site for details Real Steam Packet Offer Link

. . . . where does all this money come from to allow such a huge percent of our population to be paid way, way above their worth and ability?

I assume you mean those who work in the finance sector, i.e. the huge percentage. Should they be paid as much as they are in the UK?

Reading all the many glossy magazines that abound and all the newspapers, the Isle of Man has indeed become an Island of Smug Boasters.

Clunes has gone up in my estimation.

I agree, I think it is a simply observation to make that people on the Isle of Man are glad to be paying less tax and feel kinda smug for it, but then I think this smugness comes from a general feeling that living on the Isle of Man is far better than living in England.

Thats funny as funk

Archived