Manx Gas Tariffs

BunnyBoiler

Ive just been looking at the Manx Gas tariffs and realised something that i hadnt done before.

Even on a small island you pay more or less per unit for your gas depending on where you live!!

In Douglas, Onchan, Braddan, Glen Vine, Crosby and Union Mills you will be paying 5.890 per unit (talking about central heating "Star Saver Tariff"). In Ramsey, Peel, Port St Mary, Port Erin, Castletown, Ballasalla and Andreas its 8.185 per unit on the same tariff.

If my maths is right (which it probably isnt!!) then thats like and extra 40ish% per unit.

Does anybody know why this is? I might be being stupid and just not seeing the obvious. :unsure: I mean can they really justify it by saying that the further from Douglas you are then the more you have to pay. The island isnt that big!

LPG/Air (Ramsey/South) has only 48% of the calorific value of nat gas

A couple of years back, I had my c/h converted from Ramsey mains gas to oil (including the boiler, about £1k). Quite simply, I was astounded at the difference in heat the system produced (and the gas boiler wasn't that old when it was removed). The gas tariff would have bankrupted me trying to get that sort of heat out of the mains gas fired c/h. I know that there used to be regular complaints from town gas users about the lack of heat produced by gas fired appliances, with the benefit of having swapped, I would say they're probably justified. And no, I don't work for MP or Total......

It is stupidly expensive trying to heat a house with gas. Ive kinda given up on actually being toastie warm and aim for not fozen!

Really cant figure out if its gonna be cheaper in the long run to go to oil C/H given the oil prices rising etc.

If I had the chance again that crap bulk storage gas combi would never had been fitted and I would have had an oil boiler fitted. OK - you need to service the fecker more regular, but the heat output was soooo much better.

(sent using my replacement i900!)

LPG/Air (Ramsey/South) has only 48% of the calorific value of nat gas

A couple of years back, I had my c/h converted from Ramsey mains gas to oil (including the boiler, about £1k). Quite simply, I was astounded at the difference in heat the system produced (and the gas boiler wasn't that old when it was removed). The gas tariff would have bankrupted me trying to get that sort of heat out of the mains gas fired c/h. I know that there used to be regular complaints from town gas users about the lack of heat produced by gas fired appliances, with the benefit of having swapped, I would say they're probably justified. And no, I don't work for MP or Total......

you still work for CPL then?

last time we had our boiler replaced we researched gas vs oil, we had a quote for circa £4000 for the oil job apart from having to find space for a huge green blob in the garden, (or build an enclosure outside for the boiler) and worked out the time needed to recover the difference in cost on the amount of fuel used was more much than my lifetime !

so went for a replacement gas unit and with 0% finance paid over 5 years @ about £10 per month, it's a no-brainer really.

In the 5 years it has been guaranteed and just had an annual checkover, no parts required and at the last check actually recorded 100% efficiency (usually something like 98-99%)

The house gets plenty warm, often have to turn the thermostat down from the usual 18c setting, have rad stats fitted and have not felt cold at all even through the December freeze. We have limitless hot water, quite happy with it thankyou.

(on Douglas natural gas)

edit : ... and I don't have any connection with MG !

Archived