General Election 2011 Douglas South

EORH

Well here goes,Douglas South there is our lovable DJ Dave who runs the buses and trains amongst other things,and Bill of the Chief Ministers Drugs and Alcohol Strategy,and a former Lib Van member,now the contender for a seat Kate who is a Lib Van member.

What can we say about the efforts of the former two over the last 5 years,well they have been in the news lately,one more than the other,but now this forum as one of the election areas is open to comment,did the the sitting members do well or have they blotted their copybook in eyes of the voters of Douglas South.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..must..resist....desire...to...post...about..Malarkey....

I'll leave all that to later.

DJ Dave, don't forget that our Chief Minister was one of the top DJs in the 1970s in the form of Hovis Brown and the 370 Disco in Castletown. All the happy memories of that place have probably kept Tony Brown at the top of politics all these years. (Yep, that's kinda how it works on the Isle of Man)

Like being a postman, DJ-ing is one of the secret doors to success in Manx Politics it seems.

David Cretney garnered massive support in one fell swoop recently when he managed to get the Douglas Corporation to change their decision about not giving a woman rights to her father's council house. So Mr Cretnety will have plenty of support from deepest darkest Pully.

Constituency Details - Douglas South

Sitting members David Cretney and Bill Malarkey face Liberal Vannin's serial candidate Kate Beecroft. Normally Cretney is a shoo in but has his man of the people image been tarnished by his controversial reign at the Dept of Culture and Leisure? Will Malarkey's abandonment of Liberal Vannin be held against him.

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

David Cretney MHK Manx Labour Party

MF User Name : David Cretney MHK (formerly Minny)

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Facebook Page

Tynwald CV

MHK's They work for you

Bill Malarkey MHK ex Liberal Vannin Party

Personal Website

Manx Radio Page

Tynwald CV

MHK's They Work For You

Kate Beecroft (Liberal Vannin Party)

Personal Website (note updated since Douglas East by-election)

Manx Radio Page

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

The only thing I can say is Kate must be really desperate to get in! Why can't she stand in Middle again? (the area in which she lives)

She is a Braddan Commissioner.... 'apparently'! It begs the question why has she sudden jumped ship from Middle/ Braddan to try the two Douglas Constituencies!

Surely Kate's emergence in South Douglas is obvious...she's the SS to PK's Fuhrer...he'll be directing her armoured divisions from his Onchan bunker in the great ideological struggle with the massed forces of Malarkism. Seriously, surely she is indeed there deliberatly to take the fight to LVPs most despised turn-coat. This promises to be the most acrimonous constituency by far, by September.

For what it's worth I think David Cretney is one of the few decent hardworking MHKs out there with a reasonable brain cell count. We have far too many who shy away from difficult decisions, and he doesn't, we'll need more like him in the (at least) 10 difficult years of pain to come. I also can't believe the uproar against him for making a few railway workers redundant, can't remember such a public and political outcry when my employer made 25 redundant a few years ago.

For what it's worth I think David Cretney is one of the few decent hardworking MHKs out there with a reasonable brain cell count. We have far too many who shy away from difficult decisions, and he doesn't, we'll need more like him in the (at least) 10 difficult years of pain to come. I also can't believe the uproar against him for making a few railway workers redundant, can't remember such a public and political outcry when my employer made 25 redundant a few years ago.

For what its worth I think you are talking through your arse and I am openly laughing at you :-)

For what its worth I think you are talking through your arse and I am openly laughing at you :-)

Perhaps you will be standing for election instead if you think you could do better?

Perhaps you will be standing for election instead if you think you could do better?

Do better - yes totally. In fact a mentally retarded dog could probably do better. Sadly I'm earning too much to stand this time to blow smoke up the asses of overpaid bus drivers and sundry idiots in government who need a wake up call. The 5 redundancies are the tip of the iceberg. Fuck the lot of them - high rewards and no risk for the last 15 years. I'm happy taking risks and earning good money not pandering to superannuated w@nkers 24/7 for a salary I could happily get paid by anyone else.

Do better - yes totally. In fact a mentally retarded dog could probably do better. Sadly I'm earning too much to stand this time to blow smoke up the asses of overpaid bus drivers and sundry idiots in government who need a wake up call. The 5 redundancies are the tip of the iceberg. Fuck the lot of them - high rewards and no risk for the last 15 years.

My god I think we might actually agree on something. What is the answer then? If the only people to stand effectively are those who can't make it in the real world, what's the point? Where would we be if we didn't have a billion of reserves luckily accumulated in the good years? Think I'm off on one of the boats soon........

Do better - yes totally. In fact a mentally retarded dog could probably do better. Sadly I'm earning too much to stand this time to blow smoke up the asses of overpaid bus drivers and sundry idiots in government who need a wake up call. The 5 redundancies are the tip of the iceberg. Fuck the lot of them - high rewards and no risk for the last 15 years.

My god I think we might actually agree on something. What is the answer then? If the only people to stand effectively are those who can't make it in the real world, what's the point? Where would we be if we didn't have a billion of reserves luckily accumulated in the good years? Think I'm off on one of the boats soon........

Thats the truth though. An MHKs salary can be got by anyone here who puts in some effort here in the private sector. Its not a brilliant salary and with it you don't have to powder the arses of a bunch of tossers employed by government. If you progress and become a Minister you end up in the COMIN block voting system and achieve absolutely zero of benefit to anyone, other than supporting the policies of an undemocratically elected idiot. The Manx political system is simply not worth the effort as its democratically bankrupt. I'd rather earn money for me and my family by not having to prostitute myself for a pension.

Well, safe to say Cretney is a cert.

Bandwagon Bill vs Killer Kate is the fight we all want to see and the Malarkey clan has already been well busy preparing for battle. I guess it comes in quite handy when you can get your councillor wife to big you up everywhere & his MHK wage should mean he can afford to plaster the neighbourhood with shiny leaflets again.

I'll be voting Beecroft.

Well, safe to say Cretney is a cert.

Bandwagon Bill vs Killer Kate is the fight we all want to see and the Malarkey clan has already been well busy preparing for battle. I guess it comes in quite handy when you can get your councillor wife to big you up everywhere & his MHK wage should mean he can afford to plaster the neighbourhood with shiny leaflets again.

I'll be voting Beecroft.

I can understand that you may not want Malarkey re-elected so would not vote for them. I have no idea whether you are a supporter of the policies of the LVP but would you really support Beecroft if you did not agree with the LVP policies just to keep Malarkey out?

Archived