General Election 2011 - Douglas West

Declan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He is also part of a family partnership that operates A1 Radio Cabs."

I nice way of saying that his licence to operate was suspended (a pretty rare event, so I'm told) and was given to his father so that Martin could continue to earn a living.

Like most cabbies he hears the views of ordinary people every day, so he knows what is going to be popular and is happy to use it to harvest votes. Another malarkey methinks.

• 3 weeks later...

How about David Callister MLC for Douglas West?

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=53461

I heard the interview this morning. Clearly, since he sees the currently vacant seat in LegCo as his escape hatch, Tache Brown doesn't want them elected by the people. Callister does and he's trying to progress that.

As for standing for the Keys, DC said that he's got two years left in LegCo and then its retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

New candidate

gets my vote, well known, down to earth and practical

John Skinner gets my vote in West Douglas, he would be a breath of fresh air, let's get rid of the lovely singer Mr Corkish, who is so good at getting on stage to sing a freaking song but doing absolutely nothing for West Douglas!

As for John Shimmin, nice knowing you Mr Shimmin but you seem to have forgotten the people who put you where you are now!

Last Ten

Geoff Corkish - West Douglas Publically admits he has done Fuck All for West Douglas;

Source Manx Radio - Clickety

This guy will definitely NOT get my families vote!

An MHK who is hoping to be re-elected in West Douglas is defending his relatively low-key approach to politics.

Geoff Corkish says the fact he doesn't ask many questions in the House of Keys and Tynwald doesn't mean he isn't doing anything.

On Manx Radio's Mandate today (Tuesday), he told John Moss his constituents were aware of what he had been up to in the last five years (listen to audio file below):

Four people have so far declared their intention to contest the two seats in West Douglas, the others beong sitting member John Shimmin and challengers Martin Moore and John Skinner.

LT

Edited due to a spelling mistake!

Geoff has been to a few bun fight type gathering at the likes of village halls, talking louder than needed, to all and sundry and especially the old dears, with his rich baritone (or whatever it is) voice.

Geoff has a knack of making people feel comfortable and assuring them they are in good hands with his warm smile and convivial banter.

Geoff is a very busy person socially and I wonder where he gets the time to read all the papers, correspondence and documents that our politicians receive.

Sometimes though, you don't need to attend to, or even read, any of that boring stuff. Let the Civil Servants do the work and just simply and blindly vote with the Council of Ministers and/or the status quo.

post-4192-0-32244800-1312319380_thumb.jpg

Geoff has been to a few bun fight type gathering at the likes of village halls, talking louder than needed, to all and sundry and especially the old dears, with his rich baritone (or whatever it is) voice.

Geoff has a knack of making people feel comfortable and assuring them they are in good hands with his warm smile and convivial banter.

Geoff is a very busy person socially and I wonder where he gets the time to read all the papers, correspondence and documents that our politicians receive.

Sometimes though, you don't need to attend to, or even read, any of that boring stuff. Let the Civil Servants do the work and just simply and blindly vote with the Council of Ministers and/or the status quo.

post-4192-0-32244800-1312319380_thumb.jpg

Theo

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are trying to politely say he has done "FUCK ALL"?

LT

"He is also part of a family partnership that operates A1 Radio Cabs."

I nice way of saying that his licence to operate was suspended (a pretty rare event, so I'm told) and was given to his father so that Martin could continue to earn a living.

Like most cabbies he hears the views of ordinary people every day, so he knows what is going to be popular and is happy to use it to harvest votes. Another malarkey methinks.

But in Martin's case is would most likely be "Shut up and just drive" ;)

If his Interview on Manx Radio is anything to go by, I don't think Mr. Moore will get my vote. He just seemed to have a lot of headline ideas with no real strategy. Buy the Steam Packet, and an airline? Also, maybe I'm being naive, but how on earth would you give local traffic preference at peak times?

I heard Geoff in Tynwald a few times.. coughing.

Archived