Tips For Fatties?

Tango

I've been on a diet for 6 months now and I have to say the whole idea is starting to wear a bit thin.

I've shed about 4 stone (6'1" and 23 stone was never going to work) and now hover at around 18'11" ish.

My quest for 15 stone seems ever more distant and the bread, cake, biscuits and chocolate tempt me more and more by the day.

The novelty has worn off. Help me!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't offer that much advice about dieting because I'm a bit of a chubber myself and even though I know nutrition and all the dos & don'ts and hate being a waster thoroughly my willpower is weak as wee.

I would say though that if you're already lost 4 stone that's a huge achievement mate and you should feel very good about what you've lost so far. Keep going the way you are and you'll get there. :)

Exercise more?

I kayak 5 times a week which adds up to about 8 or 10 hours. I did get out on my mountain bike but the chain snapped and the back wheel kept buckling under my weight. I'd go to a gym but I'm too self consious. I hate running too.

I love the cat/bread!

Excuses, excuses.

You can get strengthened mountain bike wheels designed for downhill racing which aren't likely to buckle. And a new chain will cost you about a tenner.

You could also get a turbo trainer for it (kinda like a tread mill for the back wheel) and use it at home. I've got one, and it really improved my fitness in quite a short time.

Tango Wote.

I'd go to a gym but I'm too self consious. I hate running too.

Gyms are for getting fit in.

Nobody should feel self conscious about going to one.

If you have the time try doing lots of walking for a couple of weeks, then get the wheels that MM was telling you about. Then get in that gym.

When I was at school, I used to eat non-stop but because I exercised so much, I never put any weight on at all. When I left school at 16, I was working away from home (and living on my own for two years) and didn't exercise at all, plus didn't eat properly (and drank too much lager). I went from about 14 stone to 19½ stone over that 2 year period.

By the time I was 18, I decided I wanted to do something about this but, feeling somewhat self-concious about my weight, didn't fancy too many sports or the gym. Instead, I just cut the crap out of my diet, only treated myself to lager once a week and went swimming religiously every day at lunchtime for 30 minutes. I ate a normal breakfast (cereal) and had ryvita with cottage cheese & cucumber for lunch each day and my normal evening meal with the family at night time. The weight fell off me and it was no great strain on me because swimming is a low impact exercise.

I'd highly recommend swimming to anyone that wants to lose weight without stressing their body too much.

I'd highly recommend swimming to anyone that wants to lose weight without stressing their body too much.

It's great exercise but I was doing that for several months doing 2 kilometres every lunchtime. I didn't lose a pound but was definitely good exercise.

I think a congratulations is in order, 4 stone lost is awesome!

Increase your muscle to weight ratio (I'm sure your already strong after your body has adapted to carry your weight), this way you'll burn more calories. Drinking cold water through out the day helps your burn calories while your doing nothing. Make sure you keep eating the right stuff, if your body doesn't get enough of what it needs - it will use and break down your muscle tissues etc as an energy source, thus you will lose strength and major calorie burning equipment.

Keep your body guessing, change routines!

Oh and there is no need to fear the gym, instant respect - your doing something about your weight and not just complaining.

I never used to be able to do one free hanging dip, my triceps were pathetic - now I can dip freely sets of 10 no worries (and I feel great about it).

Gym = win!

Firstly I want to say well done on losing 4 stone so far...look how far you've come. Unfortunately one of the problems with dieting is after a while it does become rather tedious and sometimes you lose the will. I've been there myself - and I'm back there again. I've just lost a total of two stone, with a further 3 to go! I've done it very slowly and I have to say, it's a bind at times but as long as I get there in the end - think Tortoise and the Hare story!!

I think it helps to have lots of support and encouragement from friends and family. Another support network I use, is weight watchers - and ivillage message boards on diet and fitness. They are an amazingly kind and supportive bunch and perk you up when having a bad day/week/month!

You've obviously been doing things right, but maybe it's time to experiment more with food and change the type of exercise you do to make it a little more varied and less boring. Another tip I would offer is writing everything you eat down. Seeing it in black and white makes you see what is right or wrong!

You'll get there in the end, drop me an email if you fancy!

Good luck! :D

Archived