Chris Thomas

Regulars
About Chris Thomas

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://www.facebook.com/christhomasiom

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Chris Thomas's Achievements

Collaborator

Collaborator (7/14)

• Very Popular Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator Rare
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Reacting Well

Recent Badges

1. Thanks for comment and conceding on public sector pensions. Do you have a way to make the legacy funding gap disappear that would survive legal challenge? How about this FOI response from February 2023 for figures servlets.getImg (icasework.com). There is additional expenditure on highways in Highways Division revenue budget too which is not included here. I agree that the public finances are fragile. Highways need maintenance and investment and if discrete and rolling capital funds are reduced and revenue budget is based on assuming Tynwald approval of higher duties, fees and charges for highways services, I hope Tynwald approves them or the condition of the highways will deteriorate more.
  2. How verbose. Just "tosser" sometimes.
  3. I do want to know and I think I do know. Please send me any evidence and information about the legal arguments in this case that you think I might not know.
  4. There is no fund, consolidated or otherwise, into which vehicle duty is paid. It is just general revenue. However the amount spent on highways is greater than the amount raised in vehicle duty here.
  5. Really. What do you know that actuaries don't? Surely increased contributions and cost sharing inside the cost envelope have sorted out public sector pension sustainability? PS What non-contributory pensions schemes are there now?
  6. That's not the plan. There will be a call for evidence regarding vehicle duty though this year. Will you submit evidence and a proposal? Here is a guide to standard road condition assessment Road condition information | UKRLG (ciht.org.uk) if you want to read out more about the approaches used here and elsewhere. These approaches inform DoI's maintenance and investment plans and submissions to Treasury. This data is now input into Treasury's Strategic Infrastructure Needs Assessment process to determine the relative need for capital funds in budget process.
  7. You are right. It is unlawful to let unregistered HMOs.
  8. Whose vanity? All the information about sign-off, cost, reason and use is provided in written answers in Hansard by the way.
  9. You are right. That was one option. I think the similar area in Castletown was removed. But some use has been made or might be made of the arrangements in Port Erin. This cost just over £3000.
  10. The Vehicle Duty Order will be on March Tynwald, having been on the register of business for six weeks. The effect of this order was included in the pink book departmental income after long negotiations with Treasury and then Council of Ministers. If Tynwald does not approve the order, departmental highways expenditure will need to be reduced further to balance departmental budget.
  11. You are right, and I believe we need homelessness defined and then responsibility allocated. I outlined an approach in February Tynwald as follows: " I think personally there is a perfectly adequate definition (of homelessness in) in the social security capital budgeting emergency loans arrangements which were brought in inJuly 2022. So for instance, in that piece of secondary legislation in July 2022: (1D) A person is homeless if he has no accommodation available for his occupation, in the Island or elsewhere, which he – (a) is entitled to occupy by virtue of an interest in it or by virtue of an order of a court; (b) has an express or implied licence to occupy; or (c) occupies as a residence by virtue of any enactment or rule of law giving him the right to remain in occupation or restricting the right of another person to recover possession. (1E) A person is also homeless if he has accommodation but – (a) he cannot secure entry to it; or (b) it consists of a moveable structure, vehicle or vessel designed or adapted for human habitation and there is no place where he is entitled or permitted both to place it and to reside in it. (1F) A person shall not be treated as having accommodation unless it is accommodation which it would be reasonable for him to continue to occupy. So that definition that was already worked up for Mrs Maltby by legislative drafters will form the basis of drafting instructions for the whole of the forthcoming Housing and Communities Bill, as far as I am concerned, at this stage." The DoI might need to be responsible, or it could be a Housing Association or similar. No local authority seems to want to take this responsibility.
  12. Thank you for commentary and analysis. Your calculations seems correct of course.