Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
mollag

Island Takeaways

Uncle Bens chippy, was it in Castle Street? Where the cheap bookshop is now. Yum yum.

The only Uncle Bens I remember was on Melbourne St just below the Bowling Green pub. Its now someones house.

Dont know why all the raving about Cannells bakery. After the story I heard once about someone biting into one of their pies and seeing a cows eye staring back at them, I steered well clear! :(

Does anyone remember the very small 'hatch-like' takeaway that was on Strand St years ago. Seem to remember it being around where Ottokars is now. All I can remember were the hot dogs, cause they were 'proper' hot dogs as we used to call them, not just ordinary sausages!

Does anyone remember the very small 'hatch-like' takeaway that was on Strand St years ago. Seem to remember it being around where Ottokars is now. All I can remember were the hot dogs, cause they were 'proper' hot dogs as we used to call them, not just ordinary sausages!

The Neptune!

Happy days. :)

I could be wrong but I am sure that wasn't the neptune. Wasn't the little hatch Encrypt is talking about part of the Cinema that was opposite Woolworths?

That would be the strand wouldn't it, with the other one being the picture house?

I remember going to see things like ET, and Return of the Jedi at those. :D

Edited by Cret

Wasn't the picture House opposite woolies and the strand further down where littlewoods is/was?

It was Flash Gordon last time I went in the strand.

What about Pete's Pizzas (I think that's what it was called) on the corner of Castlemona Avenue (isn't it a Thai place now). After the Lido / Cave staggering up all those steps for a pizza :)

Wasn't the picture House opposite woolies and the strand further down where littlewoods is/was?

It was Flash Gordon last time I went in the strand.

I think you are right. If you look above Littlewoods you can still see the faux castle facade. Can't remember exactly where the Picture House was, I'm getting muddled between the Picture House and the old Maypole supermarket, which is going back along way!

BTW Would vote for Cannell's, best steak and kidney pies in the world, ever!

I could be wrong but I am sure that wasn't the neptune. Wasn't the little hatch Encrypt is talking about part of the Cinema that was opposite Woolworths?

Was the Sun Valley arcade (Barry Nobles) where Ottakars is now? Had the Rollerdrome upstairs. After the Arcade, it was Etams and it had the Nautilus Gym upstairs. If thats the case, then that hatch was definitly the Neptune.

Just thought of "Pollys" at the palace .. slide down from the Lido for a portion of chips on the way home.

Been told, the likes of Queen, Rolling Stones dropped into Polly's after their Lido gigs!

By hell there are some memories in this thread boy!

Polly's - a name I'd all but forgotten - even though I wasted years of my life queuing in there.

And the pizza place at Castle Mona Avenue - wasn't it the Punch and Judy before that? My best mate used to have the flat above there and the Punch and Judy was a favourite for late night snacks.

Pretty sure my mrs used to live in that same flat at some point too.

Yes but they were even tastier when the chippy was on the opposite side of the high street and a bit further up. :)

That is the one I meant u dweeb. :P

Pretty sure my mrs used to live in that same flat at some point too.

Good grief. Really? It can't be the same one. I can't have a friend married to a man who plays with cars! ;)