Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
mollag

Island Takeaways

By hell there are some memories in this thread boy!

How about Nelly's Chippy in Onchan. Probably somewhere near where the roundabout is now.

This thread is making me laugh, who remembers Griddles chicken burger and fries, WELL nice! used to get one every Saturday afternoon (after my sat job cleaning kitchens at King Bills) when i was a teenager, after i had been picking up my imported 12" indie records from that, oooh what was that cool record store called in strand str??

Also off thread slightly - who remembers the worst places for takeaway, anyone remember the "pizza"place in Port Erin round the back of Shopshite, and you could tell the pizzas were microwaved and they cost about £20 for a pizza but people had to go there cause it was the only place open late!! Cowboys, it was a really odd and uptight irish couple that owned it and even if you raised your voice slightly in there you would get istantly barred!! I remember seeing this drunk bloke just smash right through the front window once!

Also remember the chippi in port erin, owned by aaah will and his brother - them irish guys! My mate used to work in there and trust me if she didnt like you, you got more on your food than you bargained for - GROSS!!!

By hell there are some memories in this thread boy!

How about Nelly's Chippy in Onchan. Probably somewhere near where the roundabout is now.

I should coco, it was in a small cottage opposite Burns butchers, finest battered bangers around.

My first ever hand food ever was a free slice of brawn from Clagues tripe shop, i was 4 i think and knew nothing of snouts and sphincters, the main ingredient of said brawn.

Yes but they were even tastier when the chippy was on the opposite side of the high street and a bit further up. :)

That is the one I meant u dweeb. :P

Pretty sure my mrs used to live in that same flat at some point too.

Good grief. Really? It can't be the same one. I can't have a friend married to a man who plays with cars! ;)

Not married quite yet - a few month of freedom to go. ;)

And if you mean toy ones I no longer do. I had to flog them because I was too skint. :(

Also off thread slightly - who remembers the worst places for takeaway, anyone remember the "pizza"place in Port Erin round the back of Shopshite, and you could tell the pizzas were microwaved and they cost about £20 for a pizza but people had to go there cause it was the only place open late!! Cowboys, it was a really odd and uptight irish couple that owned it and even if you raised your voice slightly in there you would get istantly barred!! I remember seeing this drunk bloke just smash right through the front window once!

Also remember the chippi in port erin, owned by aaah will and his brother - them irish guys! My mate used to work in there and trust me if she didnt like you, you got more on your food than you bargained for - GROSS!!!

Can't remember what it was called but I remember it vividly. Wasn't so much behind Shoprite but was near the end of the one way street sort of diagonally opposite the estate agents there.

That frizzy haired Irish bloke was just like you said though. I remember after a night in the Bradda, some lad making a fuss about the ketchup sachets being 10p saying he'd go and get his cheque book, and he got 'barred for life'. The pizzas there weren't even especially good either.

This thread is making me laugh, who remembers Griddles chicken burger and fries, WELL nice! used to get one every Saturday afternoon (after my sat job cleaning kitchens at King Bills) when i was a teenager, after i had been picking up my imported 12" indie records from that, oooh what was that cool record store called in strand str??

Yeah Griddles was lovely!

Do you mean Shocks?

Do you mean Shocks?

Yeah the record shop was Shocks. Owned by Paul Shorrock until Harrison Musique (now HMV) took all his business away. Wonder what happened to him? Nice bloke.

Spoke with Paul this week, a real happy guy who has retired, cept he does more retired than i do self employed :( or as the missus puts it, self unemployed <_<

• Like 1

Just remembered the chinese down in Victoria Street near where the cork and bottle is. They used to do lovely thick chips. Mmmmmmmmm.

*drools Homer Simpson stylee*

At the risk of showing my age :( Does anyone remember where the chip vending machines were?

I remember two and also remember coaches coming in from Peel loaded with Goviks who would stand and watch in wonder.

Do you mean Shocks?

Yeah the record shop was Shocks. Owned by Paul Shorrock until Harrison Musique (now HMV) took all his business away. Wonder what happened to him? Nice bloke.

I remember having to order all my records from there, it's all e-mail now!

The old chippy half way up Port St Mary High Street used to be Bob Best - Dickies dad.

At the risk of showing my age :( Does anyone remember where the chip vending machines were?

I remember two and also remember coaches coming in from Peel loaded with Goviks who would stand and watch in wonder.

One of them was outside the Crescent Cinema as was.