Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
mollag

Island Takeaways

You can imagine how awful they were, we had these visions of burgers from films and tv then when we tried them, YUK.

Imagine my delight though when Butch opened Route66 under the Villiers, heaven.

Speaking under the Villiers, does anyone remember the seafood bar and where the other bar was?

And if your really old, the Temperance bar.

As a few have mentioned route 66, a word on the early days of takeaway burgers [1960's], they came from out of a Westlers can and were kept in tepid water untill shoved in a roll with boiled onions, they looked and tasted like mad womans shite :(

I loved those burgers. Last time I had one was from the kiosk on Peel breakwater only a few years ago. Anyone know if they still do them?

Sounds like Henry Campbell, lovely guy, talked to young uns the same as old uns. His speciality was deep fried meat pies, sounds gross but i loved them.

He had a few fingers missing and he did this trick where it looked like he had his finger up his bugle to the knuckle! God i envied him as a lad.

As a few have mentioned route 66, a word on the early days of takeaway burgers [1960's], they came from out of a Westlers can and were kept in tepid water untill shoved in a roll with boiled onions, they looked and tasted like mad womans shite :(

Yep, that was him! I only remember the finger gag now!

Westlers hamburgers were an acquired taste, but I liked them!

Anyone remember the Punch 'N' Judy burger place below the cafe, opposite the Central bar, owned by Terry Braid? I worked there for a season (the year Elvis died). There were a lot of Irish girls who came over to work in the cafe or the burger bar and one, in particular, whose mother used to send over potatoes to make sure her girl was eating properly!

Route 66 was the best. Tasty & meaty burgers, nice fries and great milkshakes.

I used to like the one at the bottom of Castle Mona Ave, think it was a Route66 at one point. Shame it went.

Now its a turkish / Kebeb place run by Benny of formerly of Ballakebabs on Bucks Road. Not my favourite but handy as i'm within spitting distance of home. (not that i've ever tried spitting on my house!)

On the other side of the coin, does anyone remember MIDO'S, further up C.M.Ave? That place was S**T!!!

Anyone else remember that Pizza restraunt that used to be on the corner of Castlemona Avenue?

Pete's Pizza

I used to work there, started selling tuna and banana pizzas after that Yellow pages ad!

I see that there is alot of mention about Route 66, what the hell happened to that place, i loved their food, and it was the best place to hang about on a sat afternoon! All the people you was out partying with the night before, refulling on giant burgers, curly fries and malteser ice cream thingys!! I say bring back Route 66! I also just get a warm feeling inside (haha) when i think of the little Route 66 kiosk outside bushys and how i used to secretly fancy Lawrence and just being a bit merry and eating a stinkbreath while sitting out watchin people go by! That wouldnt happen now, the Feds would move people on if ther were a hundred people just chattin outside a pub after it closed!!

There was always this mad fella - cant remember his name, but i knw he had a squirrel tatoo that came out of his ass, and he had his nuts pierced (he insisted on showing people - thats how i know!!) aaaah they were prob my most carefree days in the world, i was only about 19 an life seemed so much fun, now im approaching 30 things just dont seem as carefree!! I dont even EAT takeaway anymore!! Im too concerned about the health implications!! Back then i would swig back 8 pints of guiness or cider and eat a mountain of food afterwards without a care!! lol! Mind you the walk back to Port Erin prob burnt it all off!!

Anyone remember Sizzlers? My mate once had an eating competition in there with 2 grown men who said that they would buy her the meal if she got through it, cant remember exactly how much they ate, but it was the bigges steak dinner i have ever seen followed off by a "bucket" of milkshake! she did it!!

Also i wana mention the good old Cul De Sac!! Food was rank but the place was a right laugh, i used to work there in about 98/99 and it was the best place ive ever worked jokes wise! I would turn up for evening shift and the chefs would be hammered throwing food round the kitchen! And we would all steadily drink through the night! Robin was a class boss, totally mad as a bag of ferrets though!

I miss Hot Pots on Bucks Road.

Me too - Nobody made Jacket Spud with Cheese, Beans and Sausage like them!

Btw - this is FurryMongoose who can't be hooped logging off Rhumsaa for one post

I miss Hot Pots on Bucks Road.

Me too - Nobody made Jacket Spud with Cheese, Beans and Sausage like them!

Btw - this is FurryMongoose who can't be hooped logging off Rhumsaa for one post

Well apart from Stu Pots in Peel. Is that place still there? May be worth a visit some time if it is. Just to revisit school lunch breaks of old. I'll give the shoplifting of some sweets a miss though

Our school lunch, off premises used to be those massive buns like a small Vienna, it was split doon the middle as filled with cream and jam. Back that up with a frozen jublee and there was enough money left for 2 fags from Houghtons in Dalton street. We lived like film stars then :)

wasn't Route 66 run by Butch till he moved on to do real restaurant food....

..why did teh Golden Egg close?

...there used to be a great little chippy approx where Thomas Cook travel shop is now...

....then there was Hope St chippy...

..why is it just so difficult to get really good fish and chips...and at a decent price...

There was always this mad fella - cant remember his name, but i knw he had a squirrel tatoo that came out of his ass, and he had his nuts pierced (he insisted on showing people - thats how i know!!)

Hehe! I think I know who you mean! I wont name any names, but if its who I think it is, he is a member of this very forum!! ;)

wasn't Route 66 run by Butch till he moved on to do real restaurant food...

It was indeed yes....

..why did teh Golden Egg close?

Wasnt the owner murdered? Seem to remember it being quite a famous 'manx murder' although I was very young at the time...

haha im laughing out loud! EnCrypt is he really a member of this forum!! I must add though, although he was a bit chicken oriental, he was a lovely fella and always had time to chat to you! Mind you he was often hammered most of the times!!

Class!