Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
mollag

Island Takeaways

What was the takeaway called where the mandarin is in town now?

PG's Pizza, egg bap for the bargain price of 80p :)

Edited by hambaps

PG's Pizza, egg bap for the bargain price of 80p :)

Ahh yes, wasnt that the guy with the blonde 'scandinavian' looking missus who was bit of a fan of low cut tops and 'toe inducing pants?! :rolleyes:

Thats Paddy. He does the food van up by Agrimark now.

Used to go down there from school and get chips and burnies. Burnies were beefburgers that had been on the heat too long ;)

The Neptune - Strand Street.

Jonny Wong's (dads) Chinese takeaway - Victoria Street

Anyway, scrap all those food joints, What about Paraphinalia in Strand Street? I heard you get kecks in there.

Anyway, scrap all those food joints, What about Paraphinalia in Strand Street? I heard you get kecks in there.

Paraphernalia, wow that is going back! The owner ended up with some hook up with French Connection (now, FCUK) and Harrods, never knew what happened after that. He either made it big time, or the thing fell flat on its face!

There was also a boutique further down Strand Street, opposite, roughly, where Keig's/Strand Centre is now. If you had something from that shop you were definitely the business! Can't remember the name though!

That would be Jimmy Berry, he started with an upstairs room opposite Campbells butchers in Duke Street.

He brought in the first cool printed t shirts which became a must have for anyone under 20. We used to call sometimes 5,6 times on a saturday to see if his new stock had arrived.

Last i heard, Jimmy was in Majorca, but that was yonks ago.

Was the shop down where kiegs is now called spirit,owner always used to toss a coin for the change if i remember rightlly.

That would be Jimmy Berry, he started with an upstairs room opposite Campbells butchers in Duke Street.

He brought in the first cool printed t shirts which became a must have for anyone under 20. We used to call sometimes 5,6 times on a saturday to see if his new stock had arrived.

Last i heard, Jimmy was in Majorca, but that was yonks ago.

Indeed it was Jimmy Berry, thank you for the memory jog!

Was the shop down where kiegs is now called spirit,owner always used to toss a coin for the change if i remember rightlly.

I can't rightly remember, but the coin tossing does ring a vague bell. The name was something like Mik-Macks, or some other faintly rhyming coupling of words.

Roccos pizza on north quay, sadly missed, was the best pizza takeaway ever.

Yeah Roccos, loved their chicken burgers. More like a boned chicked breast in a bun, with loads of mayo and shredded lettuce. Heaven!

I remember food well, when I worked there I think I put on a stone. The pizzas were great as everything was homemade but the chicken burger, whilst tasting quite, were basically processed c__p.

..why did teh Golden Egg close?

Wasnt the owner murdered? Seem to remember it being quite a famous 'manx murder' although I was very young at the time...

My old man used to do the accounts for the owner of the Golden Egg, I was only small at the time but I'm pretty sure it closed because the manager was murdered (hit over the head with a fire extinguisher). The owner moved further up strand street and opened the Golden Grill.

I remember sitting in there every weekend drinking coke floats and having really thick buttered toast :)

Edited by Zeni

Can't really remember properly, but I think the Golden Egg re-opened after the murder, but did permanently close not long after. Therefore, not too sure if the closure was as a result of the murder or if there were other reasons. Anyway, it was a great place to go for a sophisticated Rombout coffee with a little filter over the cup!

Also trying to remember exactly where it was, somewhere around Boots the Opticians, I think. Which is roughly where Felices' was, possibly?