Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Desperate Dan

Manx Radio

3 hours ago, joebean said:

The mind-numbing and repetitive adverts on local radio (no, I do not get my insurance from Ross Gower, and thanks to your advert, I never will do), which are equally poor across the 3 stations, provide me with the incentive to tune into Radio 2.

Hate the adverts and there are several which are so dire that I too would make a point never to go anywhere near the company that is assaulting my ears. My pet hates are the shouty ones, particularly the one which is set up as the announcement introducing a boxing match. Man with a big gob and a baying crowd in the background. "I give you........ "  Can't even remember who it is advertising. Good!

Radio 2 isn't what it was either. Full of overpaid egos. Steve Wright and his inane prattle is as bad as the MR ads. I often resort to my own collections for music listening nowadays or some of the excellent internet stations. If I want to listen to people nattering about bugger all I can just turn the radio off and open my office door!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KERED said:

From the MR web-page:    

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has applauded the ten year targets set by the Manx Government, to reduce the toll on Island roads.

Who knew we had toll roads on the Island?

Jeez. Don't give 'em ideas! Nice booths at Santon and Bungalow. £1 a trip!

4 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Wouldn't Men's programs have to be video instead of audio ?:ph34r:

Just watch out for the 'hunters' in those chat rooms dilli, not safe for your sort these days.

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Isn't this an example of where MR should step in and advise their clients.? Singing phone numbers are crass, don't do them?

Who says they don't? And remember, it's the client who decides how he/she wants the ad to sound.

8 hours ago, KERED said:

From the MR web-page:    

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has applauded the ten year targets set by the Manx Government, to reduce the toll on Island roads.

Who knew we had toll roads on the Island?

Derek, you really are backwards aren't you - especially as a putative Grammar Nazi:

toll1 /təʊl/Submit noun 1. a charge payable to use a bridge or road. "motorway tolls" synonyms: charge, fee, payment, levy, tariff, dues, tax, duty, impost "a motorway toll" 2. the number of deaths or casualties arising from a natural disaster, conflict, accident, etc. "the toll of dead and injured mounted" synonyms: number, count, tally, total, running total, sum total, grand total, sum, score, reckoning, enumeration, register, record, inventory, list, listing, account, roll, roster, index, directory "the toll of dead and injured mounted"

Posted (edited)

I think it was humorous, Stu.

If you were being picky perhaps it would have been better to say "death toll", rather than just "toll" in this context.

Edited by woolley

Thanks Woolley - I doubt it was an attempt at humour from Kered, who is an habitual snark. And since the 'strategy' aims to reduce both deaths and serious injuries, the wording is fine. 

20 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Thanks Woolley - I doubt it was an attempt at humour from Kered, who is an habitual snark. And since the 'strategy' aims to reduce both deaths and serious injuries, the wording is fine. 

I have a confession to make Stu.

I've never spent a night in hospital so I have absolutely no idea what hospital radio is like.

I just thought you'd like to know that..... :)

Hospitals are ace. You get your own TV and headphones.

I think it is a charity or something that set this up. (Not sure which, but if anyone can tell me)

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I've never spent a night in hospital so I have absolutely no idea what hospital radio is like.

Most requested song is 'One Day at a Time (sweet Jesus)' by Lena Martell...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Bloody hell. I have something in common with PK!

7 hours ago, woolley said:

I think it was humorous, Stu.

If you were being picky perhaps it would have been better to say "death toll", rather than just "toll" in this context.

Thanks Wooley - that was my view on it.

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

This is hospital radio 

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Seeing as we've just asserted our independence with that new pound coin initiative, shouldn't it be MI6?

Quite right...”My name’s Bond...Juan Bond”. Okells MPA...shaken not stirred”.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

I'm not sure that they do work, actually. We have spent millions on advertising spread across multiple media, radio, printed page, internet etc. for a very long time. With traditional advertising, it is actually very difficult to know what is working for you unless you stop it to see what you lose. Often you simply carry on doing what you have been doing for years because you have budgeted for it and you fear what might happen if you don't.

That sounds like the IOMG approach to everything, ever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Most requested song is 'One Day at a Time (sweet Jesus)' by Lena Martell...

Are you sure?

A couple of searches seems to indicate Frank Sinatra's My Way or ABBA's Dancing Queen... :D