Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Desperate Dan

Manx Radio

Posted (edited)

Edited by gettafa

2 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

You can be under whatever impression you like. I guess by 'civil defence function' you mean sharing a few posts from the police on Facebook or re-tweeting the Steam Packet. Or you could just be talking bollocks as usual Barrie. 

No I don't mean that and it is not bollocks.

I do not know any self-governing jurisdiction that does not have a local radio station with a civil defence capacity in mind by way of some sort of arrangement.

Some of us recall air raid sirens even in recent decades in the UK associated with nuclear attack. I think until recently anyway the IOM sounded air raid siren tests. Some of us recall the Civil Defence Corps in the UK and the IOM has a Civil Defence unit to this day last I was aware. It turns out for emergencies and happenings.

Civil defence is dealing with unexpected emergencies which may be natural such as storms, warlike in nature, catastrophic such as Summerland, or a ship carrying dangerous substances hitting the coast or blowing up in the harbour. Look at the gas and fuel installations in Douglas. Then there is the power station. A plane crash anywhere maybe. A terrorist attack. Some poison attack as in Salisbury. 

Local radio stations so far as I am aware are linked in to a Civil Defence stance if need be. Look at the radio station in the Falklands at the time of the invasion. In the USA they occasionally run a test to link all local radio stations in a Civil defence mode.

The IOM stands alone and no once can help it out in  a hurry. Therefore it needs a means of communicating with the population in an emergency. It can happen. You would look rather silly if there was a sudden bang and a cloud of smoke and people all over the Island asked "Wot's dat den?"

You need some form of public radio system being self-governing and rather distant. 

https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/emergency-services/civil-defence/

30 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I do not know any self-governing jurisdiction that does not have a local radio station with a civil defence capacity in mind by way of some sort of arrangement.

The point is Barrie that there is no need for the massive amounts of taxpayers cash being pissed away on Manx Radio to be wasted in this manner. 

And the fact that a talk show host feels his job is on an equal footing to those of the Police, Fire and Ambulance service is equally laughable as it is offensive to the emergency services. Although maybe it's easy to make that mistake when the output would actually be fit for a mediocre hospital radio station - that's about as close as they will ever come to being an emergency service. 

Less than £1m a year for the national broadcaster (setting aside the issue of all licence fee money going to the BBC) is as nothing compared to the £50m per annum by which taxpayers will have to fund the PSPR

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

No I don't mean that and it is not bollocks.

Some of us recall air raid sirens even in recent decades in the UK associated with nuclear attack. I think until recently anyway the IOM sounded air raid siren tests. Some of us recall the Civil Defence Corps in the UK and the IOM has a Civil Defence unit to this day last I was aware. It turns out for emergencies and happenings.

Civil defence is dealing with unexpected emergencies which may be natural such as storms, warlike in nature, catastrophic such as Summerland, or a ship carrying dangerous substances hitting the coast or blowing up in the harbour. Look at the gas and fuel installations in Douglas. Then there is the power station. A plane crash anywhere maybe. A terrorist attack. Some poison attack as in Salisbury. 

Local radio stations so far as I am aware are linked in to a Civil Defence stance if need be. Look at the radio station in the Falklands at the time of the invasion. In the USA they occasionally run a test to link all local radio stations in a Civil defence mode.

The IOM stands alone and no once can help it out in  a hurry. Therefore it needs a means of communicating with the population in an emergency. It can happen. You would look rather silly if there was a sudden bang and a cloud of smoke and people all over the Island asked "Wot's dat den?"

You need some form of public radio system being self-governing and rather distant. 

https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/emergency-services/civil-defence/

In the instance of a grave national emergency IOMG will issue a press release

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Less than £1m a year for the national broadcaster (setting aside the issue of all licence fee money going to the BBC) is as nothing compared to the £50m per annum by which taxpayers will have to fund the PSPR

And that can't be put out to tender, because? 

Because the rest are shit. Ok, to be fair and in your language - shitter.

• Like 3

FLA - I obviously didn't make my point clearly enough for you. I'll use thicker crayons:-

The only comparison I draw with the emergency services is that they are also public institutions, owned by and run for the nation and funded in whole or in part by Treasury.

Since the TT is also a national institution, it makes sense to me for it to be covered by the national broadcaster and not put out to tender, although that is of course always a future option. I suggest you wait until we all know the terms of the contract before spitting all over your screen again.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

FLA - I obviously didn't make my point clearly enough for you. I'll use thicker crayons:-

The only comparison I draw with the emergency services is that they are also public institutions, owned by and run for the nation and funded in whole or in part by Treasury.

Since the TT is also a national institution, it makes sense to me for it to be covered by the national broadcaster and not put out to tender, although that is of course always a future option. I suggest you wait until we all know the terms of the contract before spitting all over your screen again.

Use whatever colour and thickness of crayons you like. The facts remain the same. 

There is literally no comparison. The Isle of Man could continue to function perfectly fine (probably even better) without the sloppy, amateurish excuse of a 'national broadcaster' that is Manx Radio. However, I suspect we would all notice a difference if the police, fire and ambulance service disappeared. 

I'm sure there must be some people (although an ever decreasing number) that still like Manx Radio, so please don't get ideas above your station and start comparing your station to something of national importance. Manx Radio should recognise it's place, and not get above its station. 

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Like the Fire & Rescue or ambulance boys don't tender for providing a service. Those fire engines and meat wagons are probably subsidised by the taxpayer too.

Manx Radio the 5th emergency service. Who’d have known? 

And who also says the TT is a national institution, only in some eyes, I see it as a national disgrace, death race. 

However my original point being why this part of the holy grail shouldn’t be put out to tender as now, every other machination of government has to be. 

Mr Juan Turner ( who I don’t know and I know plenty on here don’t like) is correct in his mutterings on Facebook. I’m sure other  (non iom) broadcasters are also coming to realise that the iomplc is NOT open for business. 

5 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

In the instance of a grave national emergency IOMG will issue a press release

or read all about it in Rob's blog:)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I think until recently anyway the IOM sounded air raid siren tests.

I believe they still do, every quarter on a Saturday morning at 11am. We were heading for Ard Jerkyll on a weekday a few years ago, and the siren in Foxdale suddenly started up as we drove through the village. Instead of sounding the all clear steady note for a few seconds as in the routine tests, it did the rising and falling emergency wail and by the time this deafening and ominous din had gone on for a couple of minutes I thought I'd better put the radio on to check whether Armageddon was at hand. Turned on Manx Radio. Adverts as usual, so I figured all was well. Speaking to someone from the village it apparently isn't unusual for the Foxdale siren to go off message.

Did it finish when you'd left the village?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Use whatever colour and thickness of crayons you like. The facts remain the same. 

There is literally no comparison. The Isle of Man could continue to function perfectly fine (probably even better) without the sloppy, amateurish excuse of a 'national broadcaster' that is Manx Radio. However, I suspect we would all notice a difference if the police, fire and ambulance service disappeared. 

I'm sure there must be some people (although an ever decreasing number) that still like Manx Radio, so please don't get ideas above your station and start comparing your station to something of national importance. Manx Radio should recognise it's place, and not get above its station. 

I'm one of those that likes Manx Radio :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2