Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Desperate Dan

Manx Radio

Recommended Posts

I wonder if Manx Radio are as keen to fact check all instances of MHKs misspeaking. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manx Radio seems to have added a new element to Journalisum.

" It doesn't matter what you say you can always come back and correct it "

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Declan said:

I wonder if Manx Radio are as keen to fact check all instances of MHKs misspeaking. 

That was my real point from last night before that angry Dilligaf character started kicking off. Is thina courtesy extended to all MHKs? I’d suggest it likely isn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MrPB said:

That was my real point from last night before that angry Dilligaf character started kicking off. Is thina courtesy extended to all MHKs? I’d suggest it likely isn’t. 

I think you're not really identifying the core of this though.  What was important here is not who was being invited to 'correct' what they said, it's what it was about - the finances of Manx Radio.  You suspect that if Rob had been inaccurate about any other topic, nothing would have been said, but anyone else, politician or not, who said the same thing would have been jumped on.  What we actually have here is a broadcaster getting an MHK to change what they said because it revealed something (true or not) about their finances.  In most countries politicians try to censor the media, not the other way around.  

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPB said:

That was my real point from last night before that angry Dilligaf character started kicking off. Is thina courtesy extended to all MHKs? I’d suggest it likely isn’t. 

I doubt Rob would have been allowed to correct himself on any other subject. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Declan said:

I doubt Rob would have been allowed to correct himself on any other subject. 

Would he know how to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think you're not really identifying the core of this though.  What was important here is not who was being invited to 'correct' what they said, it's what it was about - the finances of Manx Radio.  You suspect that if Rob had been inaccurate about any other topic, nothing would have been said, but anyone else, politician or not, who said the same thing would have been jumped on.  What we actually have here is a broadcaster getting an MHK to change what they said because it revealed something (true or not) about their finances.  In most countries politicians try to censor the media, not the other way around.  

I’m not sure I did. That Dilligaf person knocked it off course making bizarre claims about bullying Rob Callister. My original question was “But I would like to know how frequent an event it is for a politician to be invited back up to correct an untrue statement made when usually it looks to me that Manx Radio try to catch politicians out and then make that fact known.”

I thought I had been clear on that before it all kicked off specifically about Mr Callister and therefore I completely agree with you. However, that said it does seem clear to me now that you have to steer well clear of any mention of Mr Callister on here as people seem to instantly jump down your throat accusing you of all sorts just for questioning something he has said. So it’s a lesson learned. If this is a frequent thing it’s worrying although as I said based on his usual radio performances I can’t see much evidence of anyone inviting Howard Quayle back up to correct something he had completely put his foot in. In fact they seem to delight in catching him out. 

Edited by MrPB
Spacing of paras

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

I was led to believe that the costs relating to the TT & FOM commentary formed part of the Governments subvention before Radio TT was set up several years ago, but no one at Manx Radio or in DfE can confirm this, so I corrected my statement. 

4 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

It wasn’t a gaffe - I was given the information at a previous meeting so I used it. 

Someone at Manx Radio listened to the interview and felt it wasn’t correct, so they gave me an opportunity to correct it. 

I will be checking how Manx Radio actually  funded the TT and FOM commentary since 1964 next week. 

 

Thanks for that information Rob.  Manx Radio's accounts are unhelpful even by standards of the IOMG and a (nominally) 'arms-length' publicly-owned organisation ought to be more transparent, not less.  So it's not surprising, though still shocking, that something as important and recent as the way that TT/FOM coverage was supported before 2012 (Radio TT 365 - which I assume you mean - ran from TT 2012 to March 2013) should be a matter of dispute rather than public record.  Though it is a matter of some amusement that two of the most management-heavy organisations in the Island (if not the universe) seem unable to provide reliable management information.

For what it's worth, the ultra-minimal P&L from the Manx Radio Accounts for 2012-13 show a drop of £77,000 in the subvention, but whether there is extra government money hidden in 'Turnover - continuing operations' is not really possible to discern.  The attached Report also contains some references to what was clearly a big spat between Manx Radio and the (then) DED over the period and there was of course (yet another) Tynwald enquiry into Public Service Broadcasting which commissioned the informative Myers Report all of which (yet again) resulted in nothing changing.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

I made a genuine mistake and I am grateful that Manx Radio gave me an opportunity to correct my error....

I was led to believe that the costs relating to the TT & FOM commentary formed part of the Governments subvention before Radio TT was set up several years ago, but no one at Manx Radio or in DfE can confirm this, so I corrected my statement. 

stop the cheque and i'm sure they'll know.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I thought I had been clear on that before it all kicked off specifically about Mr Callister and therefore I completely agree with you. However, that said it does seem clear to me now that you have to steer well clear of any mention of Mr Callister on here as people seem to instantly jump down your throat accusing you of all sorts just for questioning something he has said. So it’s a lesson learned. If this is a frequent thing it’s worrying although as I said based on his usual radio performances I can’t see much evidence of anyone inviting Howard Quayle back up to correct something he had completely put his foot in. In fact they seem to delight in catching him out. 

Oh I agree.  There's nothing more tedious that the way in which any topic even remotely connected to Callister or Onchan can degenerate into attacking/defending him along predictable lines from predictable posters, irrespective of the actual facts of the issue or whether it relates to him at all.  You just have to ignore it.

In this case my point was that Callister was 'given the opportunity' to 'correct' his mistake, not because he was getting special treatment but because Manx Radio was giving itself special treatment - so again it's not really about him.  Of course if they had just let it be, we wouldn't now all be examining the way in which Manx Radio is getting these hidden subventions, so they'd have been wise not to make a fuss.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh I agree.  There's nothing more tedious that the way in which any topic even remotely connected to Callister or Onchan can degenerate into attacking/defending him along predictable lines from predictable posters, irrespective of the actual facts of the issue or whether it relates to him at all.  You just have to ignore it.

In this case my point was that Callister was 'given the opportunity' to 'correct' his mistake, not because he was getting special treatment but because Manx Radio was giving itself special treatment - so again it's not really about him.  Of course if they had just let it be, we wouldn't now all be examining the way in which Manx Radio is getting these hidden subventions, so they'd have been wise not to make a fuss.

Thanks. What I find staggering is that nobody seems to know. You reproduced MrCallisters posts above and clearly he doesn’t know either despite being the figurehead at the DfE actually responsible for the TT so it’s worrying that he/they really have no idea about what the subvention actually covers (or not). That said the DfE have been paying Manx Radio extra for covering the TT so you would assume it’s been a mutually agreed point that the subvention doesn’t cover it other wise why have they been paid extra for this work previously by the DfE? Yes I agree it is in Manx Radios interest to get him back and confirm the point but then again wouldn’t you think they would be able to give him authotative information to support the changed position if indeed the changed position is the correct situation? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

I will be checking how Manx Radio actually funded the TT and FOM commentary since 1964 next week. 

No doubt the laser printer will be on overdrive again printing off thousands of pieces of paper going back to 1964 so that you can research the position fully and report on it. Best call Viking and get new cartridge in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2019 at 12:18 PM, woody2 said:

poor photoshopping..........

manx radio the fakenews site.......

Quote

Identity of the bearer unknown

A Manx flag has been spotted on a pro-Brexit march to Westminster.

The 'March to Leave' campaign, currently fronted by former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, is a 14-day protest from Sunderland to Parliament Square in London.

At present, it has been reported that more than 200 people are walking on the first leg to Hartlepool.

Over the course of the next two weeks, the protest is expected to make the journey down to UK capital to arrive on the 29 March, coinciding with the country's scheduled departure from the European Union.   

Supporters of the campaign say it's to highlight what they're calling the 'Brexit betrayal'. 

The three legs has been photographed with fellow marchers somewhere on the Durham coast. 

The identity of the flag bearer is unknown.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-flag-flown-at-pro-brexit-march/

come on stu...........interns fault again.......

:lol::rolleyes::whistling:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, woody2 said:

manx radio the fakenews site.......

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-flag-flown-at-pro-brexit-march/

come on stu...........interns fault again.......

:lol::rolleyes::whistling:

I wondered if it had been photoshopped as well, because it was almost too good to be true, especially the sign directing the marchers to Cuckooland.  But the Manx flag has appeared consistently in photos of the march throughout the last few days (it's certainly been sighted a lot more than Nigel Farage).

I think the photo on the Manx Radio piece comes from the Twitter of a group called Led by Donkeys.  Who are basically shadowing the march, sticking up embarrassing tweets from various Brexit leaders on billboards that the marchers are walking past or following them round with a mobile billboard pasted up with similar quotes from Boris, Davis, Grayling etc how easy Brexit was going to be and so on. 

It's basically epic trolling, which seems to have been crowd-funded and is now providing endless amusement to the social media and indignation in the more Leave-supporting London press.  A quick scroll should provide at least a few smiles for the less ideologically committed. 

And lots of sightings of that Manx flag.  Clearly seen here for example, or looking particularly damp here.  And here is a very clear shot, presumably next to its carrier while he rests with some of his fellow marchers sitting on ...the edge of the mobile billboard carrying the words of Boris Johnson saying "Brexit means Brexit and we're going to make a titanic success of it".  Accompanied by a drawing of an ocean liner. Sinking.

I suppose they could have all been photoshopped in, but it seems a lot of work for something that most people wouldn't even recognise.  And of course, like most things Brexit-related, the flag is a massive self-own.  Because not only is the Island not in the EU to leave in the first place, but it reminds people and indeed journalists of the Manx companies that Aaron Banks channelled the mysterious millions that helped pay for the Leave campaign with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus its been in photos on lots of sites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...