Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Desperate Dan

Manx Radio

4 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Getaffa - farming grants have been around for years in various forms. All Gawne did was rip up the last subsidy arrangement and bring in a new one. The budget remained the same (check the gov accounts). Unless of course you have evidence to the contrary.

The Budget was not the same. Phil Gawne as Minister for Ag and Fish brought in recommendations to bring in the same level of support for our farmers with levels at least equivalent to that provided to their European competitors.

Through its passages the words farmer/food producer got changed to landowner, and money values were never mentioned until the Bill had moved like a ratchet past the point of no return. It was a super example of how to push stuff through a parliament, including late sittings etc.

So you are saying it is same money different name. OK.

(You are a member of the establishment and I claim my £5)

• Like 1

Turning to BBC 2 cannot stand any more, today it was wall to wall moaning about the prison last week wall to wall about the promenade, the negativity is dreadful, pathetic and depressing.

c

You're not alone,  audience figures out yesterday show MR have lost another 50,000 listening hours this quarter.

The quarter ending June 2019, they posted 255,000 total listening hours from 30,000 listeners.  Last quarter was 300,000 listening hours from 30,000 listeners.

Energy aren't in Rajar so no idea, but in the same period, 3fm had 254,000 hours from 27,000 listeners.

If I could be arsed, I'd work out how much the annual subvention is per head just to get the additional 3000 listeners...

And that is even without the dreadful adverts.   I will however be tuning into Carnaby Street on Saturday morning, really love it and they knew how to make jingles in those days which were catchy not irritating.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Roger Mexico said:

I was just terribly impressed that they managed to find someone in Arbory Parish (Chair of the Commissioners, Stephen Gawne; Clerk to the Commissioners, Phil Gawne; Captain of the Parish, Ray Gawne) who had a different surname.  It's Manx Radio, so I wasn't expecting in-depth investigations.

And we wonder where all the money's gawne? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, gettafa said:

You are a member of the establishment and I claim my £5)

That made me LOL. :D

The Mrs is away this weekend. If I can stop wanking for 5 minutes, I'll have a rummage through the old gov accounts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

That made me LOL. :D

The Mrs is away this weekend. If I can stop wanking for 5 minutes, I'll have a rummage through the old gov accounts.

Oh young man!

On MR's News Page today:

50 year old Peter Michael Birchall of Richmond Close appeared before magistrates at Douglas Courthouse. . . . .

Birdcall’s case was adjourned while psychiatric and pre-sentencing reports are prepared . . . . .

• Like 1

An interesting play on words for someone done for phoning his ex.

The website will probably be changed once the Manx Radio news team log into Manx Forums for any news.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, gettafa said:

An interesting play on words for someone done for phoning his ex.

The website will probably be changed once the Manx Radio news team log into Manx Forums for any news.

Yes - agreed, Gettafa.      He WAS making calls to his ex-bird!

(Wonder if he also sent her some Tweets?)

Edited by KERED
Addition of text
  • Haha 3

Talking Heads should be called the Big Whinge Line.   If it isn't the prom it is the prison all the experts putting their two pennies worth in.   Paul's show last night was great as usual and Terry Cringle was pure gold on the telling of the ship that hit the rocks in 1900.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

(Are you ok sid? I've noticed you using the sad emoticon an awful lot these days.)

Yep, Terry's 5 minutes is always excellent. It's well researched, often poignant with relations to events of today and always enlightening and entertaining. Repeated Monday evenings too.

Paul's show is ok, and I would imagine if you were shaking a leg around the many venues in Douglas back in the '60s/'70s then more so.

Talking Heads is Talking Heads. There were some good opinions thrown in the pot today.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I expect if there is no news it is difficult trying to get subjects that will stir the senses but surely there are some inspiring or productive things happening on the Island.   As for the sad emoticon I just use that if I disagree with a point of view.    There is too much argy bargy without me joining in.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I expect if there is no news it is difficult trying to get subjects that will stir the senses but surely there are some inspiring or productive things happening on the Island.   As for the sad emoticon I just use that if I disagree with a point of view.    There is too much argy bargy without me joining in.  

Sidney, there is much science involved in masterminding an intellectually stimulating phone-in audience participation programme like Talking Heads. Sadly I'm neither a scientist nor an intellectual mastermind, but I have a feel after 11 years of hosting the show for what will generate calls. I could talk up all sorts of positive stories (maybe) but it's not a news programme and I know they'd generate little interaction. It's things like talking about the prison programme. Gave it two shots last week (before and after it aired) and the response was absolutely huge both times. Brexit and climate change did well today, but when I talked about other local issues last week (amalgamation of local authorities for example) it was tumbleweed junction. It sounds easy-peasy to do what I do (and it's certainly not rocket science) but I DO put some thought into every topic.

• Like 2