Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Desperate Dan

Manx Radio

28 minutes ago, rodders said:

So is Stu worth tuning (with a 'g') in to or do I keep it on Radio 4?

Yes. Give it a listen before knocking it.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 10:58 PM, woolley said:

the infrastructure to deliver online is going to need a lot of work and investment if you are proposing to transfer all the current broadcast output/consumption onto it.

Most of what is currently broadcast on old fashioned TV and radio is filler. That's what the old fashioned broadcasting model mostly delivers. Because thousands of channel hours need to be filled up.

All that pointless content is filling up bandwidth which could be better used delivering data. Those frequencies are worth way more than the broadcasters are currently paying for them too.

It's utterly silly the government still subsidising people to play records or host 'phone-ins' on old fashioned radio (ditto TV dancing competitions, soap operas etc etc).

9 hours ago, woolley said:

I note the programme "Moghrey Jedoonee in the Afternoon". With my fantastic English knowledge of Manx Gaelic, I thought that Moghrey Jedoonee meant Sunday Morning. So now we have "Sunday Morning in the Afternoon". Well, it's different, I suppose.

Indeed.  A bit of an error in the new schedule.  Yes, ‘Moghrey’ means morning/before noon - so if the show is now in the afternoon it should be renamed.

All in all though, I think it sounds good.  It needed a refresh, so that is what’s happened today.  I like the ‘Update’ programme, able to hear it on the way home.  One thing I did notice though, I don’t think that the ‘Mannin Line’ had any callers put to air (just read out messages/texts etc).

Edited by Gagster

21 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Yes. Give it a listen before knocking it.

I've sent an email to the studio and name dropped you. I'll be tuned in til midnight and what I've heard sounds very good.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rodders said:

I've sent an email to the studio and name dropped you. I'll be tuned in til midnight and what I've heard sounds very good.

99 red balloons is ace. Thanks fella

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gagster said:

One thing I did notice though, I don’t think that the ‘Mannin Line’ had any callers put to air (just read out messages/texts etc).

Well the regulars are all dead y’see. If Andy Wint can rustle up a ouija board he’ll be rushed off his feet...not sure that’ll make for great radio though.

• Like 1

How can anyone knock this new show. It is so good. Stu Peters is doing a great job and is an asset to the station.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

99 red balloons is ace. Thanks fella

He read it out verbatim within 5 minutes. He added that he doesn't do requests, only suggestions. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rodders said:

He read it out verbatim within 5 minutes. He added that he doesn't do requests, only suggestions. 

Playing it now;)

8 minutes ago, rodders said:

Not sure if you are just taking the piss, but I worked with Stu Peters many years ago and he was a very sincere and genuine guy who worked in jobs below his skill level to keep the bills paid. I admire his work ethic and wish him the best of luck with his new show.

sorry if you are genuine;)

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

Just now, dilligaf said:

Not sure if you are just taking the piss, but I worked with Stu Peters many years ago and he was a very sincere and genuine guy who worked in jobs below his skill level to keep the bills paid. I admire his work ethic and wish him the best of luck with his new show.

No definately NOT taking the piss. It's a great show with loads of texts and comments which is a continuation of talking heads humour, but without the political side of his previous show. It's going to be show of choice for me. Good shout Dilly.

• Thanks 1

If you want to hear, ugh, "99 Red Balloons", why not just play it on Spotify or YouTube? No govt money needed.

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

If you want to hear, ugh, "99 Red Balloons", why not just play it on Spotify or YouTube? No govt money needed.

Sad boy.

• Haha 1