Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Desperate Dan

Manx Radio

Recommended Posts

Are you going to make him a Manx cultural institution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MR Rajar today , and the report into the BBC from OFCOM, should be a wake up call for Comms Commission.

pongo and me are right. The future of taxpayer funded broadcasting is in funding content, not in funding delivery methods. And it has come about a lot faster than I anticipated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parchedpeas said:

MR Rajar today , and the report into the BBC from OFCOM, should be a wake up call for Comms Commission.

pongo and me are right. The future of taxpayer funded broadcasting is in funding content, not in funding delivery methods. And it has come about a lot faster than I anticipated.

Delivery capacity is a major problem if you move from broadcast to individual on demand downloads. It is ridiculously wasteful of power too. Another problem is how to get people to consume the local content of which you speak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Manx Radio morning is dumbing down, dumping the salt 'n' pepper/oldies set and going for the more youthful, I wonder if the main sponsor of Mandate, advocates firm Mann Venom will be re-thinking their advertising?

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

MR Rajar today , and the report into the BBC from OFCOM, should be a wake up call for Comms Commission.

pongo and me are right. The future of taxpayer funded broadcasting is in funding content, not in funding delivery methods. And it has come about a lot faster than I anticipated.

RAJAR shows that Manx Radio has increased reach and total hours this quarter. 3FM has slipped total hours and market share. Nobody knows what Energy numbers are since they don't trust the industry-standard method of measurement. It might all change next quarter. You and Pongo might be right ONE DAY, but certainly not in my lifetime. It's like you're suggesting we all give up efficient public transport for private vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It's like you're suggesting we all give up efficient public transport for private vehicles.

'Efficient Public Transport' in the isle of Man that means blowing millions on under utilised choo choos, horsetrams and load of busses without enough drivers. just for the benefit of a few old codgers.

I can see why you use this analogy for Manx Radio.

Edited by CharlieBrown
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, woolley said:

Delivery capacity is a major problem if you move from broadcast to individual on demand downloads. It is ridiculously wasteful of power too. Another problem is how to get people to consume the local content of which you speak. 

Publicise it on social media?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

.. It's like you're suggesting we all give up efficient public transport for private vehicles.

No it;s not.

It's like stopping pouring money into what is now fast becoming a pitiful over-staffed radio station and giving it up to let market forces prevail.

A great pity I have to say.

This morning, for example, the usual reminder of 'the clocks go back an hour this weekend' was replaced with 20  minutes (that I heard before going to the Beeb) of stories and chat and google/wiki read-outs about the subject. I dare say much of the rest of the programme  was filled with the dumbed-downers contacting the station with their amusing stories of the clocks going back although I don't know and I no longer care.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

MR Rajar today , and the report into the BBC from OFCOM, should be a wake up call for Comms Commission.

pongo and me are right. The future of taxpayer funded broadcasting is in funding content, not in funding delivery methods. And it has come about a lot faster than I anticipated.

That would be an interesting challenge to #ClubTynwald, to ask them to determine what content the taxpayer should fund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, woolley said:
 
10 hours ago, gettafa said:

 Mann Venom 

:D 

Maybe it was a freudian slip. Have you ever dealt with them? You'll know what I mean if you got the bloke I spoke to.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gettafa said:

 

Maybe it was a freudian slip. Have you ever dealt with them? You'll know what I mean if you got the bloke I spoke to.

It suggests they do a lot of divorce cases and disputes over wills. :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:(

It does indeed.

When I was a bit green, someone I knew was going through a divorce. When they told me who their advocate was. I pulled a face. The reply was: "Yep! the biggest bitch in the business, that's why I'm using her."

 

Edited to add: I can't see there being much such work in Manx Radio's new target audience.

Edited by gettafa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gettafa said:

When I was a bit green, someone I knew was going through a divorce. When they told me who their advocate was. I pulled a face. The reply was: "Yep! the biggest bitch in the business, that's why I'm using her."

Edited to add: I can't see there being much such work in Manx Radio's new target audience.

I don't know.  There must be a market for "I have to divorce my spouse.  They insist on listening to Manx Radio".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have listened on and off all morning, it has been on all morning I just have been in and out and have to say...I was totally wrong, I was prejudging it , it is refreshing and I am now realising how tired the old concept was.   Good move by whoever jiggled the deck chairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...