This debate reminds me of those from years back when "shock jocks" and late night phone-ins were all the rage.... Alan Beswick, Scottie Mc Clue, James Whale.

Like everything else with Manx Radio it's so yesteryear

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the current circumstances, really? I have not seen my mother, who is in a nursing home, for over 2 months, I get that and comply. I could not take my friend, who cannot drive, shopping  e

I am delighted to announce that I will be returning to Manx Radio’s Late Show on Wednesday 1st July. This follows a three week suspension after complaints were lodged against me for comments made

Information Notice.pdf Not sure if the PDF link will work, but this is the official word. To everyone on here who has supported me, thank you sincerely. To my many detractors, have a nice day.

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I asked you for proof of racism where someone was discriminated against and you still have failed to provide any.

Just surveys etc are not people being discriminated against. 

Folks being unhappy about an influx of Johnny Foreigner is not the same as folks treating them differently due to race, colour, creed etc. 

Bit disappointed this failed to make the airways last night, so here it is:

These goalposts have wheels.

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

To be fair they do, don't they.

And racism doesn't really exist against (white) South Africans or indeed whities generally.

There needs to be a new word.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gettafa said:

To be fair they do, don't they.

And racism doesn't really exist against (white) South Africans or indeed whities generally.

There needs to be a new word.

The word is EQUALITY. It includes opposition to all the  isms and phobias against minorities.

over the years I’ve represented ( as duty advocate ) more than one Manx person on public order offences where they’ve screamed at South African whites for being here and taking “our” jobs.

13 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I take it you're being ironic Gettafa. There's racism against whites, and if you stick around long enough you'll see plenty more of it. The well-meaning but naive white guilt and masochism that we're seeing here is rushing into its arms.

Yes, there is but in places like the Isle of Man racism against whites is virtually non-existent unless it is also attached to nationality (e.g. White Polish, White South African etc)

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Good post Albert. I would turn this around a little - 

And if you ring a talk show at 11pm in the evening, don't necessarily expect an intellectual debate if you have an agenda.”

and ask those complaining about Stu being trapped by saying that don’t host a late night phone in show if you can’t handle a range of opinions. 

Yes. But if Stu Peter's were found to be racist and sacked over this, rather than perhaps offered the chance to apologise for any perceived offence - I can't help thinking that the cause these guys support might well be put back 10 years on this island - overnight.

A perceived small decisive victory over a popular but occasionally inarticulate local DJ will likely be more divisive than solve anything.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Radio phone-ins are dumb. And well past their sell-by date. It makes no difference whether it's Clive Bull or Radio 4.

I strongly recommend you check out the one I linked to earlier.

36 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Progress of a sort I suppose....

The Black and White Minstrel Show.

The-Black-and-White-Minstrel-Show.thumb.jpg.b8fee7d16e024f3c1f82399d7f654086.jpg

A very successful BBC light entertainment show that ran from 1958 to 1978.

That's less than 50 years ago.

When caring for an elderly rellie in a care home casual racism was rife from the inmates. Because they are of the generations for which there was absolutely nothing wrong with a show like The Minstrels. These folks are dying out and taking their racism with them.

Of course, a massive difference between the UK and the USA is that as a nation we are nothing like as scarred by the evil that is slavery

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I strongly recommend you check out the one I linked to earlier.

Surely the point of a spoof like Down The Line is that radio phone-ins are dumb. They're all mad.

I used to like that show - but I found the recent specials a bit boring. The death of Felix Dexter had left a big hole at the centre too.

15 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Of course, a massive difference between the UK and the USA is that as a nation we are nothing like as scarred by the evil that is slavery

Eh? The UK supplied much of it. It was a significant part of the UK economy in the 16th+ centuries. "We" were as much a part of it as those who benefitted directly from slave labour. 

• Like 2